1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tile Saw

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Czech, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Don't tell the pellet pigs I'm awake....

So I have two baths and maybe some stairs that I want to tile, I figure by the time I add up the hours the rental will pay for a purchase. I did buy 16" travertine for one of the baths already, just 16 of those for starters. So what saw do I buy on a $200 or so budget?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JeffRey30747

JeffRey30747 Member

Loc:
    NW GA USA
    My Dad bought an earlier version of this saw used for $30 (with blade).
    http://www.harborfreight.com/25-horsepower-10-inch-industrial-tile-brick-saw-95385.html
    We have cut tile, bricks and landscaping stone with it for years. It has sounded like it might seize a bearing at any time ever since we had it but it is still going strong. The same saw at Home Depot was nearly twice as much as Harbor Freight's price when I compared them some time ago. If you are interested in this model, it would be a good candidate for one of their 20% off coupons.
  3. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I have one of these that I bought new many years ago at a Home Depot. It didn't cost much. 6" diamond blade. I've used the heck out of it on all sorts of ceramic and porcelain tile and marble. Bathrooms, countertops, floors, etc., etc. Works like a charm. Dunno whether this exact one is available anywhere, but something similar certainly must be. Rick

wetsaw.jpg
  5. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
  6. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    The 7" H.F. will do the job for you and you can sell it when you're done and get most of your money back. Just plan on working outside, they sling water all over.
  7. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Thanks Guys. I'll give something a whirl, there's a ridgid I have an eye on too. Just have to see if grainger can get it for me because I won't set foot in Home Despot. >>
  8. coverdome

coverdome Member

Loc:
    North Central Maryland
    Bought the cheapest one Lowes had and have done 2 bathrooms, an entry way, and a big Kitchen with no issues.
    Clean it good after each use, and don't be afraid to put a new blade on every now and then.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio

Gotta love Grainger!
  10. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I bought one at Home Depot - because it was 25 miles closer than Harbor Freight & IIRC, it cost me about $60. I've done two full baths & a laundry room with it & even used it to cut my sister's split firebricks for her Lopi wood stove. I plan on using it to finish our "YMCA-sized" (5' x 6') shower this fall...
  11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Any good pellet burner can cut those tiles with his teeth.
    smoke show and Eatonpcat like this.
  12. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Darn it, Smokey's here! Heck I just Craig's Listed a ton for a buck a bag so there! So I may visit the local HD, I need to pick up tire and wheels for the truck and there's one right next door and has the Ridgid. It will still be cheap compared to renting, but I like good tools too. Thanks all, pictures to follow!