1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tiles for a firebasket...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Tink123, May 7, 2013.

1. Tink123

Tink123 New Member

Loc:
    London
    Hi, I'm going to put a firebasket in my fireplace and have a few questions...

1. the inside of the fireplace is currently rendered. Although we won't be using the fire very often, am I right in thinking that the inside of the fireplace will go black after a while? In which case, I'm thinking that we need some tiles or something on the render (I presume you can clean the black off tiles but not from render?)

2. Can you use any heatproof tiles inside the fireplace (assuming such a thing exists!)

3. Do I need something under the firebasket, as ash would just fall straight onto the hearth.

Many thanks indeed!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Tink - one thing you will learn about this place is that we love pictures...and don't understand English.;lol (just kidding). By firebasket - is this referring to a log grate? Something like this:
    C-7723-BU_sp55.JPG
    It is common for the masonry to blacken in a fireplace. I am not familiar with any tiles for this type of application. Most folks that burn in an open fireplace accept the fact that the masonry will discolor. Hopefully, someone will pipe up with some suggestions for you.

And welcome to the forum.
  3. Tink123

Tink123 New Member

Loc:
    London
    Thanks for your reply, Jags! Yes, I do mean the a log grate - they're called firebaskets in the UK, sorry it didn't even occur to me that the name might be different elsewhere :) This is the look I want.
    firebasket.jpg

For some reason, blackened bricks look ok but blackened render just looks.... odd? Perhaps I'll jsut have to put up with it, as you say!
  4. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    "Render" is also a term that I am pretty unfamiliar with. Is that in reference to the masonry? We really do like pics.==c
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I looked it up as I hadn't heard it used as a noun before either:

rend·er

/ˈrendər/

Noun
    A first coat of plaster applied to a brick or stone surface.
  6. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    What I do to deserve a four letter word? Noun - Jeesh.

Ahhh - so it is the plaster/masonry. I could see some types of tiles being applied in a system like the one pictured above. I can't really imagine the heat being too intense. Heck - if it isn't melting the candles it won't melt tile.:p
    ScotO and pen like this.
  7. Tink123

Tink123 New Member

Loc:
    London
    Render is like a rough plaster... it goes on top of bricks. Our brickwork was really messy and tatty so it needed this coat on top. Here is a pic of a rendered fireplace:
    render.JPG
  8. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Got it. Is the fireplace that you want to work on an actual fireplace? I ask, because the picture above is not.
  9. Tink123

Tink123 New Member

Loc:
    London
    It looks the same as this (ie. just a square hole in the wall) but it is directly below a chimney, so is a proper fireplace.
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Cool. Interesting. I have never seen an application like that around my area.
  11. Billybonfire

Billybonfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    Hi Tink123,
    I know what you mean about the brickwork going black, the bricks behind our stove are black where an old firebasket used to sit.
    Photo0095.jpg
    Not sure about tiles but you could paint the plasterwork a matt black colour to hide the discolouration.
    Re under the firebasket our local blacksmith makes lots of fireside products including firebaskets some of which have an ashpan underneath like this -
    http://www.merebrowsmithy.com/fire_basket_015.htm
    maybe you could give him a call for advice, his name is Tom, sure he would be happy to help.

Billy.
    ScotO likes this.
  12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Those are pretty cool. Can I assume that these are more for looks than for actual heating?
  13. Billybonfire

Billybonfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    Hi Jags
    they are still seen in pubs and restaurants over here, not very efficient form of heating I guess but cozy close by and great looking.
    Some are quite elaborate looking with patterns, coats of arms and such on the backplate.
    Like this
    [​IMG]
    ScotO likes this.
  14. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You guys have all the cool old pubs.;)
    BrianK, ScotO and Billybonfire like this.
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Billybonfire likes this.
  16. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Ohh...Think we can get webbie to crank up the corp. jet and do a hearth.com pub crawl?
    LakeMurraySC likes this.
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If not, I will do the deed for Hearth.com and go out on field assignment.
    Jags likes this.
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

What's with all the talk of pubs. I see enough of them in the bathroom floor at work ;sick!!!
  19. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I shouldn't have laughed, but I did anyway.
  20. Trooper

Trooper Guest

Out here there are many nice pubs. McMenimans has several good ones.
    http://www.mcmenamins.com/468-power-station-pub-home[/quote]

Begreen, my work takes me to the Portland, OR area occasionally. Me LOVE McMenimans! Wait wasn't this a thread about fire baskets? :)