Tiles for a firebasket...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tink123

May 7, 2013
London
Hi, I'm going to put a firebasket in my fireplace and have a few questions...

1. the inside of the fireplace is currently rendered. Although we won't be using the fire very often, am I right in thinking that the inside of the fireplace will go black after a while? In which case, I'm thinking that we need some tiles or something on the render (I presume you can clean the black off tiles but not from render?)

2. Can you use any heatproof tiles inside the fireplace (assuming such a thing exists!)

3. Do I need something under the firebasket, as ash would just fall straight onto the hearth.

Many thanks indeed!

Tink - one thing you will learn about this place is that we love pictures...and don't understand English.;lol (just kidding). By firebasket - is this referring to a log grate? Something like this:
C-7723-BU_sp55.JPG
It is common for the masonry to blacken in a fireplace. I am not familiar with any tiles for this type of application. Most folks that burn in an open fireplace accept the fact that the masonry will discolor. Hopefully, someone will pipe up with some suggestions for you.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your reply, Jags! Yes, I do mean the a log grate - they're called firebaskets in the UK, sorry it didn't even occur to me that the name might be different elsewhere :) This is the look I want.
firebasket.jpg

For some reason, blackened bricks look ok but blackened render just looks.... odd? Perhaps I'll jsut have to put up with it, as you say!

"Render" is also a term that I am pretty unfamiliar with. Is that in reference to the masonry? We really do like pics.==c

"Render" is also a term that I am pretty unfamiliar with. Is that in reference to the masonry? We really do like pics.==c

I looked it up as I hadn't heard it used as a noun before either:

rend·er

/ˈrendər/

Noun
A first coat of plaster applied to a brick or stone surface.

What I do to deserve a four letter word? Noun - Jeesh.

Ahhh - so it is the plaster/masonry. I could see some types of tiles being applied in a system like the one pictured above. I can't really imagine the heat being too intense. Heck - if it isn't melting the candles it won't melt tile.:p

Reactions: ScotO and pen
Render is like a rough plaster... it goes on top of bricks. Our brickwork was really messy and tatty so it needed this coat on top. Here is a pic of a rendered fireplace:
render.JPG

Got it. Is the fireplace that you want to work on an actual fireplace? I ask, because the picture above is not.

It looks the same as this (ie. just a square hole in the wall) but it is directly below a chimney, so is a proper fireplace.

Hi Tink123,
I know what you mean about the brickwork going black, the bricks behind our stove are black where an old firebasket used to sit.
Photo0095.jpg
Not sure about tiles but you could paint the plasterwork a matt black colour to hide the discolouration.
Re under the firebasket our local blacksmith makes lots of fireside products including firebaskets some of which have an ashpan underneath like this -
http://www.merebrowsmithy.com/fire_basket_015.htm
maybe you could give him a call for advice, his name is Tom, sure he would be happy to help.

Billy.

Reactions: ScotO
Hi Jags
they are still seen in pubs and restaurants over here, not very efficient form of heating I guess but cozy close by and great looking.
Some are quite elaborate looking with patterns, coats of arms and such on the backplate.
Like this
images

Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: Billybonfire
Ohh...Think we can get webbie to crank up the corp. jet and do a hearth.com pub crawl?

Reactions: LakeMurraySC
If not, I will do the deed for Hearth.com and go out on field assignment.

Reactions: Jags
What's with all the talk of pubs. I see enough of them in the bathroom floor at work ;sick!!!

What's with all the talk of pubs. I see enough of them in the bathroom floor at work ;sick!!!

I shouldn't have laughed, but I did anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.