Tiling Heat Shield Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manooti

Dec 20, 2015
PA
I'm about to tile the durock nextgen and need some advice before I screw it up.

using the US Stove 2000 and with the heatshield its at the minimum clearance that is suggested without a shield. 12" from combustible so using 12" from heat shield. Anyway, the screws for the spacers are sticking out a lot and im afraid if I screw them flush theyll split the board. Theyre rounded heads so have to screw them in a lot. Not much experience with cement boards. Should I swap out the screws with some drywall screws instead of the screws the spacers came with? With the head out I cant tile it.

Also have 2 outlets on both sides of the corner behind the stove, is it save to cut that out to access the outlets? Either straight up from the bottom about 4 inches or a cutout? Straight cut from bottom would be easier to run wires but not sure if thats to code.

Using 2 pieces stacked, 6' high x 5' wide. Hopefully it doesnt collapse on me as I only put 6 spacers per sheet because manual says not to put spacers near stove.

As Ediyit mentioned Durock sells their own screws . . . flat heads that allow you to go flush or slightly inset. They've worked well for me on various projects involving Durock -- my hearth, side going up the walls and around the bathtub walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.