A couple of years ago I was cutting down some standing-dead balsam fir trees on our property, and thought to save the poles in case I ever wanted to build something. Balsam grows straight up and is comparable to hemlock in strength, and isn't worth much for firewood. Last year I cut down a bunch more, and got a cheap drawknife and started peeling. This year I finally got around to building a woodshed with them. I elevated the posts above ground and treated the posts and beams with copper naphthenate, as balsam fir rots rather easily and is a favorite of many bugs. Cedar would have been a better choice in this respect, but I've only got about 2 sad cedar trees on the property. The shed is ~8' deep by 24' long, sloping from something like 8' in front to 6.5' in back. Here's the first 6 posts and the rear 12' beams in place: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGunCHdH0dI/AAAAAAAAAhE/rDLbdizy7sI/s800/p7243531.jpg The frost line here is on the order of 4', but the ground in many spots is full of rocks and even with a loader w/ hydraulic auger (borrowed from my parents) I was not able to get down that far in most spots. I didn't feel like mixing that much concrete anyway, so I filled most of each hole with gravel before pouring the footers. Besides rocks the it's all sand here, so I'm hoping frost heaves will not be a problem. The 2x4's attached to the posts are actually sunk into the ground, I used them to plumb everything up and hold the shed together while building. I'll attach siding to them later. Here the second set of beams are in, and the intermediate post footers are poured: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGunDYg_UxI/AAAAAAAAAhI/YSC8kGBGUd4/s800/p7283542.jpg I used Simpson Strong-Tie metal strapping to secure the posts to the footers and to splice the beams and secure them to the posts (also have a 12" spike into each post). A lot cheaper than T and L brackets of the size I needed. Here's a couple of shots with all the posts up, the cross-bracing in, the rafters up, and the purlins attached: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGunE8jPPXI/AAAAAAAAAhM/K0jRB-FLQ0o/s800/p8173669.jpg The shed doesn't really lean backwards, just camera distortion: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGunIIWnlyI/AAAAAAAAAhY/_jxlrMAckLQ/s800/p8173674.jpg The rafters range in diameter from a little over 3" at the small ends (strength equivalent to a 2x4) to a little more than 5" at the butts (equivalent to a 2x8). Checking span tables for balsam this seemed to be acceptable for a 60 lbs/sqft snow load. We'll see next summer! My original plan was to go as cheap as possible, but I couldn't find anything cheap for the roof. So I got 8 10'x3' steel roofing panels, which with purlins and fasteners was more than half the total cost (which is around $350 so far): http://lh6.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGunJu5cM4I/AAAAAAAAAhc/k6YDnCeRN5A/s800/p8173675.jpg http://lh6.ggpht.com/_J8_pVZfCTaY/TGuoXiP0FaI/AAAAAAAAAis/7ocheuHXBCw/s800/p8173676.jpg That's where things sit for now. I still need to put up flashing around the roof perimeter. The floor will be two rows of 7 40"x48" pallets, for a stacking area of 8' x 23'4". If I average 6' high stacks it will hold 8.75 cords (call it 8 for space lost to cross-bracing). I plan to side the sides and back next summer, I have a line on a guy with a sawmill that's cheap.