1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

timber heat pellets

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by lvsb, Aug 13, 2012.

1. lvsb

lvsb New Member

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Has anybody ever heard of timber heat pellets? Are they any good?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    No, I have only seen Tidy Timbers. Might be yet another new to market pellet. If you try some let us know what you think.
  3. Murphy118

Murphy118 Member

Loc:
    NE Pennsylvania
    They got a whole lotta them at my local lowe's....along with green team...green supremes...and cheat river...the cheat rivers

were really bad for me last year....and i cant remember which "green" was better..supreme or team...but one was better than the other...let us know on the timber heats...
  4. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Hi lvsb, Up in your neck of the woods, you should be able to find Great American or Power House pellets, they are made in Palmerton. I am using the Power House and they are a good pellet. Got em for $189/ton.
  5. lvsb

lvsb New Member

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I have burned Great American pellets and liked them. They are made about 15 minutes from home but I have not seen them for 189/ton
  6. kenzmadie

kenzmadie Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Good to hear about the Power House pellets, bought them this year.
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I saw the Timber Heat at a local HD store. I'll try to post a pic for reference . I'll see if I can add them to my review list this fall.
  8. petemal

petemal Member

Loc:
    LONG ISLAND, NY
    i think they are repackaged NEWP
  9. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.

Saw these in my local Lowe's last week the address on the bag is Wellsville NY{ i think } there is a company called Biomaxx Inc a subsidiary of Deltapoint Capital group of Rochester NY they own PA Pellets & Dry Creek pellets and the main offices are located in Wellsville. My guess is that Timber Heat are one of these re bagged.
    jtakeman likes this.
  10. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Nice catch wil,

FYI to the others here's what the bag looks like!

Attached Files:

11. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Thanks Jay always appreciate the kind words. I'll pick up a few bags to add to the stash to try . Look forward to your test to see what you think.
  12. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Just picked up 5 bags to try they'll be the 1st ones I toss in the hopper this season, a clean stove so we'll see how they burn. I've never tried PA or Dry Creek we'll see what happens.
  13. Harman p-68a

Harman p-68a New Member

Loc:
    Northern ny
    I hope they burn good I have 5 ton put away this is what lowes brought me when they delivered them I thought they only had green teams or supremes but this is what they brought so we will see ,I dont ussually do this but I used a lowes credit deal they had going and had burned a few bags of the green teams last year they did fine for me so I said good deal but this is what they brought and I wasnt here when they came so. I have had crappy pellets before so if they turn out to be duds then I woll have to deal with it till next season and can guarantee there will be only softwood pellets in my shed for next season. I am optimistic as I have burned dry creeks before and they burned really well so time will tell!
  14. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Dry Creeks were very nice before PA bought them. PA's were not as good. Both tests were before the Dry Creek purchase. So hopefully they made some changes to the PA and carried them to the Timber Heats as well.

Moving my stash around, I notice the 2 bags I have had lumpy corners(water damage). So to be fair, I'll will not test these and will look for some more. You guys will probably get to them before me, So please post your thoughts on them. :cool:
  15. SummersHeatNewGuy

SummersHeatNewGuy Member

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Burn 2 bags of the Timber Heat, not bad. I'm going to pick up 4 tons. I would rate them between the North American and Green Team but closer to GT. They had only 1 ton of Green Teams at $5.20/bag. No thanks.
  16. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I put the 1st bag thru a clean stove collected all the ash I could volume wise I filled a 5oz dixie cup. The pellet length is small nothing over 1" most in the 1/2" and less may just be this bag don't know. There seemed to be more fines than other brands I've burned again maybe this bag. Heat out put seemed fine with the hand test .

No conclusions yet 4 more bags to go 1st impression, low ash , good heat right price would buy again.
    jtakeman likes this.
  17. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Thanks for the detailed report, Very interesting! Don't sound half bad! I gotta get me some! ;)
    will711 likes this.
  18. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Thanks Man, look forward to your test.
  19. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Picked up a bag at Lowes In Manchester CT for a little over $4 -- threw adequate heat and not too much ash. I've since picked up a few more bags to stretch through October.

That said, I tossed some McFeeters in the hopper last night and I could feel the difference in my house (and in how long it took my stove to get to temp). I like softwoods ...

Attached Files:

20. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Have to retract my prior review -- two of the four bags I recently picked up were loaded with fines. It was as if 20% of the pellets in the bag had deteriorated. Could have been a storage issue at Lowes, but I won't be buying these pellets again.
  21. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    Dude, I was thinking about grabbing a couple bags of timber heats. I will check out the finesand report back. I got a ton of the drycreeks and I'm happy with the several bags I've burned so far. Want to see whats up with the timbers. Maybe yours was just a handling thing?

Schoondog
    PoolGuyinCT likes this.
  22. jvanase

jvanase New Member

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I'll 2nd that. I've burned 10 bags of them now. Seem to put out decent heat, and the ash building isn't too bad. Definitely dirtier than the New Englands I tried though.
  23. SummersHeatNewGuy

SummersHeatNewGuy Member

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Bought the 4 tons. Burnt 7 bags already. I like them. I'm not finding the fines you guys are talking about. No clinkers either. They put out good heat. But I did return half a ton because they were wet. The way the pallets were covered suck. Instead of a full plastic "bag" cover with plastic wrap around they got two plastic sheets on top then plastic wrap around. The sheets can move and let water in. So I had bad luck on one pallet out of the four. Lowes took care of it and I got a free delivery next time. So it all worked out. I'm storing outside this year. I rewrapped with the old plastic bag covers from last year and more plastic wrap. Atleast 4 layers of plastic. Should be ok. Happy burning!
  24. quazi95

quazi95 Member

Loc:
    Nottingham NH
  25. R-G

R-G New Member

I tryed a bag of them, burned really good for me with great heat, will be buying more soon.