Timber jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone use a timber Jack? likes and dislikes

I'll be the first to ask the dumb question. Describe what a timber jack is. :)

I used one with the rigid foot under it. Nice for bucking small stuff but it has to be totally round. Any branches or forks, it didn't work. It has to roll the log as it picks up, and if any branches prevent that, it didn't work.

So I added a pivoting foot to my cant hook and it works great. Light angle on each side, downto a flat plate. pivots on a pin through the handle. allows the leg to stay in one place while the log rolls a bit.

Not intended to be a holder for cutting, as it doesn't go 'over center' and hold it up. Use is to lift a log and allow putting some blocking under it.

kcj

Attachments

• Log hook 1.jpg
    Log hook 1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 830
It's about a 4ft tool that you can roll a log up and off the ground...that way when cutting rounds ya don't dip your saw into the ground.

No never used one...I cut till it almost binds then pull out, keep doing that till I make a break through then roll the log over with 6 ft spud bar and finish up.

kevin j said:
I used one with the rigid foot under it. Nice for bucking small stuff but it has to be totally round. Any branches or forks, it didn't work. It has to roll the log as it picks up, and if any branches prevent that, it didn't work.

So I added a pivoting foot to my cant hook and it works great. Light angle on each side, downto a flat plate. pivots on a pin through the handle. allows the leg to stay in one place while the log rolls a bit.

Not intended to be a holder for cutting, as it doesn't go 'over center' and hold it up. Use is to lift a log and allow putting some blocking under it.

kcj
do you tink it is worth the 60 bucks and what percent of the time do you fell it comes into play?

Id say it beats trying to cut all the way through every few bucks to be able to roll with ur foot.

Bought one this spring, works great. About $35 at Tractor Supply...took them abuot an hour to even figure out what I was asking for but then once they found ne I got it a couple days later.

I do use mine to lift the log and cut, it holds anything from about 4" up to around 12-13" in diameter. Anything bigger and it just doesn't bite the log. Nice also that you can remove the jack with a box wrench and viola!, instant cant hook.

All steel and nice and heavy. The jack is a 8-10" inverted T so its nice and stable when jacking.

Well worth the money.

mayhem said:
Bought one this spring, works great. About $35 at Tractor Supply...took them abuot an hour to even figure out what I was asking for but then once they found ne I got it a couple days later.

I do use mine to lift the log and cut, it holds anything from about 4" up to around 12-13" in diameter. Anything bigger and it just doesn't bite the log. Nice also that you can remove the jack with a box wrench and viola!, instant cant hook.

All steel and nice and heavy. The jack is a 8-10" inverted T so its nice and stable when jacking.

Well worth the money.

That is what I thought it was.

I got mine from TSC for about $35.00 also. It does ok. My biggest problem is remembering that I have it in the truck. I agree with who ever said the wood needed to be straight. It is hard for it to hold an off center log unless somebody is there to stand on the handle. It is good to have. I would vote for buying one.

I bought one from Northern tools and its the metal one like a pipe for a handle. I bent it the first time I used it to move a log of around 22 inches and don't like the point it comes with as it slips out of the wood.

I would buy a wooden handle one if I was going to buy one again and make sure the point that hooks into the wood is sharp so it doesn't pull out when one puts pressure on the handle.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I bought one from Northern tools and its the metal one like a pipe for a handle. I bent it the first time I used it to move a log of around 22 inches and don't like the point it comes with as it slips out of the wood.

I would buy a wooden handle one if I was going to buy one again and make sure the point that hooks into the wood is sharp so it doesn't pull out when one puts pressure on the handle.

Shipper

I second that. I bent mine along the way some how and sometimes I would have to hammer in the spike to get it to work.

I used one A LOT of years working for a saw mill. Absolutely loved using it. Makes moving logs a much easier task.

we use them all the time its great. all the ones i have seen have the little foot at the bottom i thought that was the point of it in the first place to get the log off the ground. you can use them for all kinds of stuff when cutting i wouldnt cut without one.

you tink it is worth the 60 bucks and what percent of the time do you fell it comes into play?

To me, a good cant hook is eesential to moving wood. I use it 90% just as a hook. But do use the lift foot a few times in a day of cutting.
I wouldn't buy a cheap tool though. The cheapie I used bent in a day and the hook was soft and not bite well. Mine is 50 years old from my dad. $18 new handle 10 eyars back and it is good to go.

Would be good to have the solid foot to be able to lift with one person, but in most cases that I needed that ability, I could not roll the log with the rigid foot. Samll er straight stuff yes.

So, yes I would buy/build again. Yes, I need a hook. No I would not buy the cheap one with rigid foot.

But it doesn't take much time savings to justify $35 tool if it helps. Worth a try.

k

I knew Timber Jack. Lived down the road from Paul Bunyun. Big feller that could take dow 500 trees a day. Didn't have a blue ox for a pal though. He had a grey Bronco !!!!

Sorry.......couldn't help myself. :cheese:

I been looking to buy one of these for a few months so the feedback is great.

Yep, its always with me when I am cutting.

Uses:
1.)unbinding a saw blade when stuck in a cut
2.) rolling logs
3.) when felling, I have used it to twist a tree in a specific direction (not recommended for casual cutters)
4.) picking logs off of ground to be cut.
5.) when bucking large rounds, I use it to move the last round I cut, to get it out of the way (if they won't roll easily).

Handy tool. I have the wood handle version and if it broke or was lost, I would replace it very soon.

Jags said:

Uses:
2.) rolling logs
3.) when felling, I have used it to twist a tree in a specific direction (not recommended for casual cutters)
5.) when bucking large rounds, I use it to move the last round I cut, to get it out of the way (if they won't roll easily).

Handy tool. I have the wood handle version and if it broke or was lost, I would replace it very soon.
great review been looking at them for a couple of months now,will pull the trigger(the peavy is the one i have been looking at)

smokinj said:
Jags said:

Uses:
2.) rolling logs

great review been looking at them for a couple of months now,will pull the trigger(the peavy is the one i have been looking at)

Food for thought: the timberjack has an inverted "T" leg that allows for lifting that the peavy does not. The leg is removable with a wrench when new. If the bolt is replaced with a 3/8" pin (I think that is the size) and a hair pin, it can be made so that the leg can be taken off or put back on in about 3 seconds. Best of both worlds. Timberjack one minute, peavy the next.

Jags said:
smokinj said:
Jags said:

Uses:
2.) rolling logs

Food for thought: the timberjack has an inverted "T" leg that allows for lifting that the peavy does not. The leg is removable with a wrench when new. If the bolt is replaced with a 3/8" pin (I think that is the size) and a hair pin, it can be made so that the leg can be taken off or put back on in about 3 seconds. Best of both worlds. Timberjack one minute, peavy the next.
the peavy iam looking has that they are 60.00 bucks and the quick pina great idea

yes but thes guys http://www.logrite.com/index.html make the best cant hooks, log peaveys, timber carriers, hookaroons and logging arches they have aluminum handled tools are stronger, lighter and safer to use than the traditional wood handle models. We engineered our tools to work better and not to break under normal usage. Our tools are designed to increase employee safety, reduce downtime and liability

timber said:
yes but thes guys http://www.logrite.com/index.html make the best cant hooks, log peaveys, timber carriers, hookaroons and logging arches they have aluminum handled tools are stronger, lighter and safer to use than the traditional wood handle models. We engineered our tools to work better and not to break under normal usage. Our tools are designed to increase employee safety, reduce downtime and liability
i dont see the jack part

I got mine with the wood handle. It's held up great - very solid. I use it all the time cutting wood, mostly to get the trees up off the ground so I can cut them without hitting dirt. It's a lot more solid them lifting the log up onto another cut piece.

timber said:

Since I am not a proffesional woodsman and on a fixed retirement would your company offer the board a discount? I see you offer quailty, but at a pros price in my opinion.

Shipper

31DGNW724TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the exact timber jack I have. All steel, the poins are a bit dull so I have to sharpen them to get a better bite.

I bought the Stihl one with the fiberglass handle on a whim when buying some chains. I guess they saw me coming because I paid about 100 clams I think. However I like it and do use it some.

Northern Tools sells the one I use for $52. I had it out yesterday lifting logs off the ground for cutting. Makes life so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.