Timber Jacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I read all the descriptions and reviews of timber jacks at Northern Tool and they're pretty mixed. This one on eBay looks like the same at Northern Tool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-TIMBER-JA...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4399ac8906

What's a good quality, relatively inexpensive one? Is all metal ok? Will one with a wood handle just break really fast?

I don't anticipate using it on trees more than 12 inches in diameter.

Thank you.

I have a wooden handle one. It was about 50.00 14 years ago and use it for the big stuff and have not broke it. Mine has a cotter pin at the jack end and you can take it off quickly for moving logs around trees, when skiding them out.

i got the all metal one from northern and havent had no trouble with it yet except it is slightly bent since my buddy run over it with his truck. it still works well and the leg can be removed to use it as a peavy

I have an all metal one that I bought from Tractor Supply a few years ago for $35. Works well enough, but often it is easier and faster to just cut 75% of the way through the log all the way down the length and roll it over to finish the cuts.

The only issue I have with the jack is the hooks are not sharp enough to bite, which is easily resolved with a good file and if you try to take on anythign larger than 14" its useless....for your situation with 12" and under I think you'll be in great shape.

I have the 60" Logrite w/ stand, which does not fit your "inexpensive" criteria. It's pretty much indestructible. A peavey or cant hook is a great device for moving and positioning logs to cut. If you want a wooden one, the tools made by Peavey Mfg in Maine are nice.

I don't use the stand at all. I second what Mayhem said, just buck 75-80% through the log, then turn and finish the cut.

I have the Peavey one. I removes the jack a few weeks after I bought it and haven't used it since. I use the cut most of the way and roll method. You are probably better of buying the Cant Hook.
http://peaveymfg.com/canthook.html

I got the 60" Logrite Cant Hook. The thing is indestructible. I know it was expensive, but I really believe with tools its almost always worth it to buy quality. I cut 75% thru the logs,,roll,then finish cutting. Easy as pie and the hook is really sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.