Timber Tongs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Just ordered a couple of these, as recommended by someone else on the forums:
http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-12-Timber-Tongs/dp/B0037W8YEM

21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I've got something like that but it's an old thing with a big hickory handle. The handle is such that it works with two men pulling. Works pretty good if the log isn't too heavy. I cut mine to 5-foot lengths so they fit cross-wise in my trailer.

I debated for a while on which tongs to get... ended up getting the 8" oregons:
http://www.baileysonline.com/prod_images/ORF_536321_L.jpg

These are great! But I do wish I had got the larger ones and thinking of getting one of the 12" ones. For heavier hardwood thats green, the 8" tongs can pick up a round as heavy as I can handle with one arm so not a big deal... but most of the wood I cut is cherry, and its light enough I am sure I could handle what the 12" tongs could grab in each arm.

So I am debating getting the larger ones, but unlike the 8" ones that are pretty much the same price, the 12" have a huge price difference - the Oregon being much more expensive. So let me know how those Husqies work for you I might get one of those instead.

Ordered 1 each of the Husqvarna 8" & 12" tongs from TreeStuff.com (Metro Arborist Supply in Indianapolis IN) Monday morning. $31 & $45 each.Also 1 large leather wedge pouch/tool holder w/ nylon clip-on belt,1 standard nylon wedge pouch/tool holder w/velcro closure. Free FedEx Ground shipping on all orders over $100,it arrived this afternoon.Tried out both tongs moving some stuff around the yard,they work great & are exceptionally well made.Used to having 2 wedges in both back jean pockets,plus a file & scrench too.This will be so much nicer,plus that large pocket has room for an extra chain & pint water bottle.I'll keep the 100ft tape measure,1 wedge & 8" tongs in in it for now.

Attachments

• PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 701
Reactions: ScotO
I have used those for 3 years and I don't go hauling firewood without them. I have 2 of the 12" version one for each hand. You can pick up a very large piece in each hand. They extend your reach considerably, and your gloves stay dry if the wood is wet.

gg

I have used them on 12 cords of log lengths that I processed and they've been great. I'd say get the 12".

I too say they are great. We bought one and will buy another next fall. When we cut trees that will hang because there is no other place to drop them, I commonly cut them into 4' lengths. Normally getting those out can mean a lot of hard work. So I give the tongs a try and am amazed at how much easier it makes the pulling of those 4' lengths out. Then there is the 16" logs we cut. Cutting during the winter months means sometimes there is snow and sometimes there is mud. I've always hated those times because the gloves and the coats and pants get all mud or snow and very wet. So now I can just bend slightly and pick up a log and not have to get my gloves wet or muddy. And that bending is what bothers me the most and with these things I don't have to bend much at all. I say they are worth every cent we paid for them.

fwiw, we got the 12" and it works great for small stuff and even for stuff over 12". So much easier... I doubt we'll use them on the splits when stacking but I might give it a try just for kicks.

Also we found it is very easy to release the tongs. Lay the log down and push down just a little or a little twist and they pop right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.