timber tuff bench grinder help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
ok from a previous post some guys have talked me into to trying this thing out

complete novice here..i have one and never used it...dont have a manual...any pointers?...what angles to set?.....ill be sharpening 3/8 chain 20 inches long full chissel....any help will be appreciated

Reactions: Nixon
30 60 10 on Stihl chain, works on any Full chisel chain. I have no clue on that grinder if the lower vise table adjusts or is preset though. Got a pic? A C

Found the TT site.
Which bench model?

CS_BMM
img3_cs-bmm.png

CS-BWM
img3_cs-bwm.png

I have the first one in Dave's post. It gets the job done, I'm pretty good with it, but it leaves me wanting something a little nicer. I might be able to get some video of it this summer when stuff slows down, if that's the one you have.

30* top plate angle, & 60* "tilt" will give a good result. Cut very lightly, & watch your depth on the straps or you risk overheating the chain. They say to use the 3/16 wheel with 3/8 chain, but I do mine with 1/8 inch & get sharper chains & cleaner gullets in the cutters. Go easy & you'll get good in no time. A C

Two passes just kissing it are better than one pass with solid pressure. That advice right there is what makes the difference for me in a sharp chain that lasts for more than a few cuts.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
ok so let me get this right......30 60 10
kinda lost.....30 is the angle i would set on the back of the machine?...60 on the bottom?..and what is the 10?..man i need a video.....sorry guys im pretty dumb on this......and it is the bwm model

You know how a chain would be in the machine so that it rests cutters straight up and drive links straight down? Well, the 10* references how much off of completely vertical that is. Does that make sense?

It doesn't look like that vise plate slides in & out, ignore the 10. 30 is the angle of the top plate on the cutter looking down at the top of the chain ie turning the vice. 60 is the angle on the back of the grinder that tilts the wheel to go into the cutter. 0 would bring the wheel straight down on the chain. Danno is right on about 2 passes lightly if the chain is really dull. Once you practice a little, you can sharpen a 20" full chisel chain in under 2 min. I can touch mine up in about 90 seconds if the grinder is in the vise on the bench & ready. A C

Re read your post. Just the opposite of what you said. 30 at the bottom, 60 at the back. It's not as complicated as it seems at first. Put a chain in there, & turn the vise to 30, it should match the angle of the cutter, then tilt the head to 60, & lower the wheel with switch off. Set the chain stop so the wheel just touches the cutter, set the depth to just above the tie strap/chain carriage. Raise it, turn it on, hold the chain back with your left hand, & lower the wheel with your right. A C

Some video references
here

You have lots of chains, practice on the worst ones, do a few teeth, see what it looks like.
So you screw a couple up learning. So what?

I think Danno has the trick, small amounts, then again if needed. Don't overheat the cutter tips that way. Everyone had to learn the tricks.

Reactions: amateur cutter
Yep, what he said.

I think that manual indicates that he can adjust the vise plate to hit that 10* mark. If he's sharpening a Stihl ful chisel, then I think he should at least try to hit that setting. I wish mine would do that.

You have to just dive right in and give it a try. I smoked a chain or two on mine before I came online and got some pointers, you are already ahead of the game. If you go lightly on your chain then you won't cause any major damage that can't be fixed by adjusting your grinder and going again. Worst case scenario: you overheat a chain and it doesn't hold the sharpness for as long.

Besides, that's a nice grinder, it's a darned shame to let it sit unused!

You posted this in the forum for discussions of cutting and splitting wood, types of trees, etc. You'll get a lot more input (if you want it) by posting gear-related issues in the Gear forum.

Yeah I am moving it over to the gear room for everybody to learn from.

Reactions: Danno77
Soon that score you made on all the chains will pay off.
Never a dull chain :)

May look into a grinder similar, looks like a good way to keep things sharp
at a reasonable price. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.