TIMBER!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin

Awesome! Great perspective.

Always enjoy your posts!

Andy

I'm mostly just jealous of where he lives. I'd love to move north, but my wife isn't as into winter as I am. Actually... she'd be happy with no winter at all. :(

-SF

Quads needs to open a tree felling academy! I'd like to sign up :)

I rarely ever cut any standing trees nowadays, just cut the stuff already on the ground. This winter is the most tree felling I have done in ages! A little variety!

Speaking of moving north, I've always thought it would be neat to move even farther north than here. Alaska in particular. I wish I could at least go there once......................maybe someday.

quads said:
I rarely ever cut any standing trees nowadays, just cut the stuff already on the ground. This winter is the most tree felling I have done in ages! A little variety!

Speaking of moving north, I've always thought it would be neat to move even farther north than here. Alaska in particular. I wish I could at least go there once......................maybe someday.

Wow - Cutting them standing up now - is this a sign of some inner turmoil or a cry for help? :)
Any reason why you've changed your MO? Or are you just looking for stuff above the snow line?
I spend 12 years in Alaska: 10 in Anchorage, 2 in Fairbanks. Amazing scenery, lots of wild life, plenty of mosquitoes in the summer.
I miss the mountains a lot. Unless there was a thick fog or low cloud bank, there wasn't a day I didn't see some mountains.
The pacific salmon die when spawning, so fishing them has its down sides - they are rotting as you are jigging them. There is some
excellent deep sea and ice fishing for halibut and trout.
But you would miss your wood lot. Mostly softwood up there - some white birch, but a lot of spruce. And not a lot of what we'd call mature size.
I long to go back to see my old stomping grounds, and see some real mountains again.

Keep cutting, sell a few extra cord, and save up for a trip! Share a video of your tour through Mount Denali National Park!
Happy burning.

maplewood said:
quads said:

Wow - Cutting them standing up now - is this a sign of some inner turmoil or a cry for help? :)
Any reason why you've changed your MO? Or are you just looking for stuff above the snow line?
I spend 12 years in Alaska: 10 in Anchorage, 2 in Fairbanks. Amazing scenery, lots of wild life, plenty of mosquitoes in the summer.
I miss the mountains a lot. Unless there was a thick fog or low cloud bank, there wasn't a day I didn't see some mountains.
The pacific salmon die when spawning, so fishing them has its down sides - they are rotting as you are jigging them. There is some
excellent deep sea and ice fishing for halibut and trout.
But you would miss your wood lot. Mostly softwood up there - some white birch, but a lot of spruce. And not a lot of what we'd call mature size.
I long to go back to see my old stomping grounds, and see some real mountains again.

Keep cutting, sell a few extra cord, and save up for a trip! Share a video of your tour through Mount Denali National Park!
Happy burning.
Ha ha! Nope, nothing quite that psychologically deep. We've got enough snow that I can't find the trees that are already on the ground. And the ones that I know where to find from memory, are either so far off the trail that I won't carry the wood that far, and/or they're so deep that even after a lot of digging to get down to them, I still can't always see what I'm cutting into with the saw. So, I've cut a few standing ones that don't look like they are housing any of the little critters for the winter. If this 30 degree weather keeps up, maybe I can start going back to my normal method soon!

Yes, I would at least like to see Alaska, and the mountains, one time. I saw the Rockies once, but we drove through a lot of it at night, in the dark, so didn't get to see as much as I could have. Then I flew back here.

Quads,
I just checked out your other youtube clips. Great clips but BOY does it sure look funny seeing a big guy like you with the fiskars! LOL

mikepinto65 said:
Quads,
I just checked out your other youtube clips. Great clips but BOY does it sure look funny seeing a big guy like you with the fiskars! LOL
Ha ha! I'm glad somebody liked it!

Alaska ain't that big of a trip.
Even drivable if you have the time.
If it's on your "bucket list" make the time.
I drove from Oregon to here, beautiful trip. Late 70s, was mostly gravel then but now most all is paved.
Road is open year round. (mostly anyway, truckers like winter best, but are delays sometimes)

Nice video!

bogydave said:
Alaska ain't that big of a trip.
Even drivable if you have the time.
If it's on your "bucket list" make the time.
I drove from Oregon to here, beautiful trip. Late 70s, was mostly gravel then but now most all is paved.
Road is open year round. (mostly anyway, truckers like winter best, but are delays sometimes)

Nice video!
Someday.........................

I would almost definitely drive there, if for no other reason than to see all the countryside between here and there.

You could cut thru Canada, eh?
Shorter that way & good roads.
Winnipeg to Saskatoon to Edmonton to Dawson Creek then Alaska.
Simple.
Lots of memory chips for the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.