1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener

Post in 'The Gear' started by george2c, Mar 1, 2013.

1. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Alright, I'll give the grinder a go on a couple chains for the 660 and see how it goes. It will probably be a breeze once I get the hang of it. Just worried right now about:

1) Taking too much off and
    2) Overheating the cutter.

I tend to worry too much about most things.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
  3. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Looks pretty much fool proof. I may have bought one if I didn't just find a grinder for $25.00 on CL. Grinders clearly take a little more set up but once you have it set they are quick and if you are careful they don't take too much off the tooth. Just go slow and you wont burn the teeth or damge the temper. Working with steel fabrication and smithing knives makes me think someone would have to really put the grind on to damage a tooth with one. Touch, touch, touch with the wheel and move to the next tooth.

As far as longevity of the timberline cutter if used with caution and well cared for I would bet the average homeowner, firewood cutter could get many years of sharpening before it needed replacing.
  4. Dyno625

Dyno625 Member

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Okay, I guess I read that wrong but so far wear on the carbide doesn't seem like an issue.
  5. STICK

STICK Member

Loc:
    COLORADO
    This is it. Precision. Either in the shop or field.
    Very impressive tool. I could use this on a bench or in the field on a log with equal results. I went onto the website http://www.timberlinesharpener.com and found the promo code HEARTH still gives a 10 buck discount. That fairly well covers shipping. If this sharpening method extends chain life and efficiency, it would well be worth it. Simple. Precise. Removes minimum steel from the cutter. I like "the feel of the steel"
    BrianK likes this.
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I ran four tanks thru my Makita 6401 last week, cutting dead ash, and was still throwing good chips. Did it need to be touched up? Yes, but it still cut well.

I ran three tanks thru on Friday, and two and a half yesterday. It's still going strong. My hand filed chains would have been blowing dust long ago. I think I'll see how long I can go on this one. Kinda like a Blaze King burn ;)
  7. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yeah, looks like cutters will last a good long while :cool:
  8. george2c

george2c Member

Loc:
    SWPA
    Just ordered.. Got 15 off for being a member here. I will let you know what I think..
  9. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    How did U get $15 off ? hearth discount is $10
  10. george2c

george2c Member

Loc:
    SWPA
    I called him today and asked for a discount. I also own a small sporting goods store and gun shop and sell some hardware and tools. I am an avid wood cutter and heat my house with mostly wood. I may want to stock the timberline and sell it out of my store but I want to give it a try first. I will keep and use this one for my self but if it works good I will buy some to sell.. I was taught by my father about 30 years ago how to sharpen with just a file and have done it that way ever since. I am happy with the results but just want to see if this is better. I hope this helps.. I will make sure to let you guys know what I think of it. I know if someone would show folks how to sharpen with a file just 1 time it really is very simple but takes a little patience.. My dad was taught by a very nice guy who still to this day owns and operated a small stihl store, he actually has a giant plastic chain he will pull out to teach people how to do it.
  11. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I think many people on here want perfection, and it seems like the Timberline does that, and for a bonus it is easy, and for people that have never sharpened a chain the easy part would be first and perfection would be the bonus
  12. wh401

wh401 New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Received my sharpener and proceeded to try it out on the picco micro chain on my 192. Setup was easy if you've watched the instruction video. How much of the tooth you take off depends on how far you adjust the knob that moves the tooth forward towards the bit. You don't need the tooth pushing very hard against the bit, just firmly touching. Gave the saw a run last night cutting up some 5" diameter red oak, and then felled a 12" diameter red oak. I was amazed at the sharpness of the blade, it's definitely the closest thing to factory that I've ever felt. For years I always thought you could never achieve that except with a new chain. This sharpener is definitely worth the money. Can't wait to see how it makes the full chisel on my 390 feel.
    jeff_t likes this.
  13. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I had the same problem with getting chains to sharpen properly from side to side. I also can see some visible wear on the carbide, along the taper point.

Turns out that where there is the center knob, there is a sheet metal plate that helps press against the chain as its mounted into the bar. Somehow along the line I got this buggered up, and it wasnt doing its job, so the chain was shifting sideways depending on how I tried to sharpen. (Note this was only with .325 chain). I got in touch with Phil, the owner, and he gave me some tips to get straightened back out.

Definitely check the tips that are on the page if you are using it on a chain for the first time. Leaving the sharpener knobs loose the first trip around lets the cutter carve out the right profile on the tooth, and from there it works pretty darn well.

Only other item I see is that when the tooth gets really small, you can run the risk of actually cutting into the stop prawl if you arent careful. Not an issue most of the time, but I found out the hard way :(

I had fairly good luck with the sharpener, but I had a really excessively dirty load of wood also. Im waiting to try it again on some clean wood to see how many tanks I can put through it and stay with a sharp chain.
  14. george2c

george2c Member

Loc:
    SWPA
    Well I got mine they other day in the mail. Nice tool easy to use. I will need to cut some more wood to give an honest opinion on it. I took both saws today one done with the timberline and one hand filed and I coudnt tell that much difference. Now to be fair The one I used the timberline on I only went threw each tooth twice lightly. It cut good and threw nice sized chunks, but my hand filed one did also. I will see how it goes here in the next few weeks. I cut some locust, cherry, and maple.. I will report back but it will be a few weeks as I only get out to cut some wood 1 time per week.. I would say for anyone who cannot hand file or isn't that good hand filing to buy one it works good..
  15. ErikR

ErikR Member

Loc:
    northern WI
    After researching the Timberline sharpener on this site and reading the reviews on Amazon, I pulled the trigger. I just finished sharpening one of my chains. The chain was in pretty good shape to start with, it felt sharp, but it was throwing smallish chips of wood.

I'm going out after lunch to try the chain on some of the dry, barkless oak logs I've got stacked up.
    DSCF8822.JPG

I did learn a few things from my first use.... Wear gloves, little metal filings make great slivers. Don't sit so the chain/blade is over your clothes, again, metal filings.... Over all, I thought it was an easy tool to use. It took me a few minutes to get it set up, but that will improve with practice and use.

Well, that was fun... cuts like a hot knife through butter!
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    GoodNeighbor likes this.
  16. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    i put a little oil on the cutter (just a drop or two), it helps keep those nasty little cuttings under control.
  17. ErikR

ErikR Member

Loc:
    northern WI
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.