Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the saws you have Fabs, should be a 3/16" wheel on the grinder. 1/4" or 5/16" for the rakers.

Going back and forth between grinder and file/Timberline will eat up chain quicker than sticking to one method. There is a slightly different profile left behind by each method. The grinder often will also take a bit more off of a new chain but once the first sharpening is done, you just barely touch each tooth to restore the edge.

Alright, I'll give the grinder a go on a couple chains for the 660 and see how it goes. It will probably be a breeze once I get the hang of it. Just worried right now about:

1) Taking too much off and
2) Overheating the cutter.

I tend to worry too much about most things.

Looks pretty much fool proof. I may have bought one if I didn't just find a grinder for $25.00 on CL. Grinders clearly take a little more set up but once you have it set they are quick and if you are careful they don't take too much off the tooth. Just go slow and you wont burn the teeth or damge the temper. Working with steel fabrication and smithing knives makes me think someone would have to really put the grind on to damage a tooth with one. Touch, touch, touch with the wheel and move to the next tooth.

As far as longevity of the timberline cutter if used with caution and well cared for I would bet the average homeowner, firewood cutter could get many years of sharpening before it needed replacing.

This (Carbides will last a minimum of 30+ Sharpenings) I did not type in ,I copied and pasted it from their web site

Paste
ProductHighlights
Tungsten Carbide Cutters are designed specifically for the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener. 4 diameter sizes are used to properly fit different sizes of chain.
7/32″ is used for 3/8″ pitch chain as well as .404″ pitch chain
13/64″is also used for 3/8″ pitch, but is slightly smaller and recommended on Stihl chain.
3/16″ is used for .325″ pitch chain
5/32″ is used for 3/8″ small Low Profile chain
7/32″ = 5.5 mm
13/64″ = 5.0 mm
3/16″ = 4.8 mm
5/32″ = 4.0 mm

Ask any machinist and they will tell you tungsten carbide is extremely tough and durable and will outlast any hardened steel file period. Because of its durability it is difficult to claim an exact lifespan. However, much testing and customer feedback allows us to confidently claim a minimum of 30+ sharpenings. Users may very well exceed 100+ sharpenings with careful use by not binding the carbide cutter and always spinning clockwise.
It is recommended to sharpen the chain often instead of waiting until it is extremely dull. This will make sharpening even faster with a quick touch up while reducing wear on both the carbide cutter and the chain itself.
Okay, I guess I read that wrong but so far wear on the carbide doesn't seem like an issue.

This is it. Precision. Either in the shop or field.
Very impressive tool. I could use this on a bench or in the field on a log with equal results. I went onto the website http://www.timberlinesharpener.com and found the promo code HEARTH still gives a 10 buck discount. That fairly well covers shipping. If this sharpening method extends chain life and efficiency, it would well be worth it. Simple. Precise. Removes minimum steel from the cutter. I like "the feel of the steel"

Reactions: BrianK
I ran four tanks thru my Makita 6401 last week, cutting dead ash, and was still throwing good chips. Did it need to be touched up? Yes, but it still cut well.

I ran three tanks thru on Friday, and two and a half yesterday. It's still going strong. My hand filed chains would have been blowing dust long ago. I think I'll see how long I can go on this one. Kinda like a Blaze King burn ;)

Okay, I guess I read that wrong but so far wear on the carbide doesn't seem like an issue.
Yeah, looks like cutters will last a good long while :cool:

How did U get $15 off ? hearth discount is $10

I called him today and asked for a discount. I also own a small sporting goods store and gun shop and sell some hardware and tools. I am an avid wood cutter and heat my house with mostly wood. I may want to stock the timberline and sell it out of my store but I want to give it a try first. I will keep and use this one for my self but if it works good I will buy some to sell.. I was taught by my father about 30 years ago how to sharpen with just a file and have done it that way ever since. I am happy with the results but just want to see if this is better. I hope this helps.. I will make sure to let you guys know what I think of it. I know if someone would show folks how to sharpen with a file just 1 time it really is very simple but takes a little patience.. My dad was taught by a very nice guy who still to this day owns and operated a small stihl store, he actually has a giant plastic chain he will pull out to teach people how to do it.

I called him today and asked for a discount. I also own a small sporting goods store and gun shop and sell some hardware and tools. I am an avid wood cutter and heat my house with mostly wood. I may want to stock the timberline and sell it out of my store but I want to give it a try first. I will keep and use this one for my self but if it works good I will buy some to sell.. I was taught by my father about 30 years ago how to sharpen with just a file and have done it that way ever since. I am happy with the results but just want to see if this is better. I hope this helps.. I will make sure to let you guys know what I think of it. I know if someone would show folks how to sharpen with a file just 1 time it really is very simple but takes a little patience.. My dad was taught by a very nice guy who still to this day owns and operated a small stihl store, he actually has a giant plastic chain he will pull out to teach people how to do it.

I think many people on here want perfection, and it seems like the Timberline does that, and for a bonus it is easy, and for people that have never sharpened a chain the easy part would be first and perfection would be the bonus

Received my sharpener and proceeded to try it out on the picco micro chain on my 192. Setup was easy if you've watched the instruction video. How much of the tooth you take off depends on how far you adjust the knob that moves the tooth forward towards the bit. You don't need the tooth pushing very hard against the bit, just firmly touching. Gave the saw a run last night cutting up some 5" diameter red oak, and then felled a 12" diameter red oak. I was amazed at the sharpness of the blade, it's definitely the closest thing to factory that I've ever felt. For years I always thought you could never achieve that except with a new chain. This sharpener is definitely worth the money. Can't wait to see how it makes the full chisel on my 390 feel.

Reactions: jeff_t
I had the same problem with getting chains to sharpen properly from side to side. I also can see some visible wear on the carbide, along the taper point.

Turns out that where there is the center knob, there is a sheet metal plate that helps press against the chain as its mounted into the bar. Somehow along the line I got this buggered up, and it wasnt doing its job, so the chain was shifting sideways depending on how I tried to sharpen. (Note this was only with .325 chain). I got in touch with Phil, the owner, and he gave me some tips to get straightened back out.

Definitely check the tips that are on the page if you are using it on a chain for the first time. Leaving the sharpener knobs loose the first trip around lets the cutter carve out the right profile on the tooth, and from there it works pretty darn well.

Only other item I see is that when the tooth gets really small, you can run the risk of actually cutting into the stop prawl if you arent careful. Not an issue most of the time, but I found out the hard way :(

I had fairly good luck with the sharpener, but I had a really excessively dirty load of wood also. Im waiting to try it again on some clean wood to see how many tanks I can put through it and stay with a sharp chain.

Well I got mine they other day in the mail. Nice tool easy to use. I will need to cut some more wood to give an honest opinion on it. I took both saws today one done with the timberline and one hand filed and I coudnt tell that much difference. Now to be fair The one I used the timberline on I only went threw each tooth twice lightly. It cut good and threw nice sized chunks, but my hand filed one did also. I will see how it goes here in the next few weeks. I cut some locust, cherry, and maple.. I will report back but it will be a few weeks as I only get out to cut some wood 1 time per week.. I would say for anyone who cannot hand file or isn't that good hand filing to buy one it works good..

After researching the Timberline sharpener on this site and reading the reviews on Amazon, I pulled the trigger. I just finished sharpening one of my chains. The chain was in pretty good shape to start with, it felt sharp, but it was throwing smallish chips of wood.

I'm going out after lunch to try the chain on some of the dry, barkless oak logs I've got stacked up.
DSCF8822.JPG

I did learn a few things from my first use.... Wear gloves, little metal filings make great slivers. Don't sit so the chain/blade is over your clothes, again, metal filings.... Over all, I thought it was an easy tool to use. It took me a few minutes to get it set up, but that will improve with practice and use.

Well, that was fun... cuts like a hot knife through butter!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodNeighbor
i put a little oil on the cutter (just a drop or two), it helps keep those nasty little cuttings under control.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.