Timberline question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicFunn

Sep 19, 2014
West Virginia
These questions are in reference to a Timberline wood stove with double doors.
When you look inside the front doors of the wood stove you can see a metal plate laying across a few inches from the top of the stove. Is this the baffle?
It appears to be curved in the rear and is following the curve of a track that is also slightly curved. Is this plate supposed to be straight across in the front or bowed to match the rear side? Does anyone have a picture of how this plate should look?
The plate does not really wiggle or seem to come out easily so if this plate does need to be replaced or straightened could some one tell me how to remove it. I do not have a manual for this stove so any help would be appreciated. It is a great stove and really heats the whole home even though it is located in the basement.
Thanks,
Jerry

That is the baffle, you are correct. If smoke and fire don't leak by it in places it shouldn't need to be straightened. Is the stove a rear exit or rear/top? That would explain the curved track going around the flue opening. Also a ceramic board above the baffle would help keep heat from leaking through the baffle and up out the chimney. This would mean more heat for less wood and would likely pay for itself fairly quickly.

Thanks. It is a rear exit so that makes sense for the curve in the rear. The baffle is sagging probably 3" so I thought it might be good to straighten it before it gets worse but I am not sure how to get it out. I have another wood stove that has one in it too but it moves and comes out easily unlike this one.
You mean to just lay a ceramic board on top of the baffle? Where would one get a ceramic board? Would be something you use only with wood stoves that are like this one that radiate heat rather than ones that have blowers?

McMaster Carr sells the stuff, all types, shapes and sizes. Any stove benefits from keeping heat in it longer. More heat, less air and wood for the same results.

Reactions: GraphicFunn
Status
Not open for further replies.