Timberline Sharpener - Technique Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you seeing different between certain teeth?
That some teeth did not sharpen at all ( I had to re-adjust the pawl to make the cutter make contact with the tooth) and that on some, the pawl seemed to push the cutter real tight. In other words, some teeth were longer than others.

That some teeth did not sharpen at all ( I had to re-adjust the pawl to make the cutter make contact with the tooth) and that on some, the pawl seemed to push the cutter real tight. In other words, some teeth were longer than others.

Once you've gone around the chain once, adjusting as you go, you should go around again with the "short" setting and then all cutters on that side will be equal length. Switch sides and those should match as well so long as you haven't touched the adjustment for length.

Reactions: Realstone
I also grind my chains. I have found that over time, I will get the teeth on the "backside" of the chain a little longer. No idea why and the chain still cuts straight. Remember not to spend too much time on a single tooth trying to fix this as lots of grinding makes lots of heat and the heat will damage the tooth making it go dull faster than otherwise. I have been trying to grind a little more on those long teeth to get them the same but don't worry about it too much.

I have also found that by grinding my own chains I get lots and lots more life out of them than when I had the saw shop grind the teeth. They aren't concerned, probably would rather, if the chain life is reduced by aggressive grinding.

Reactions: Realstone
Update: Wow what incredible customer service, Phil is sending me out a new pawl on Monday. He responded minutes after I sent that, on a Saturday!

I ordered a couple of carbide cutters on Friday afternoon, and they were in my mailbox Tuesday.

I acquired one secondhand also, and the pawl has been gouged by the cutter as well. It's not damaged to the point of affecting performance, so I'll go with it for now. Not sure how this happens. The thing is pretty simple to use. It does a nice job, though I haven't cut anything yet. If this really is a precision tool, I have been doing a pretty good job with a file...

Status
Not open for further replies.