Timberline Single door for Sauna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnparty

Nov 16, 2015
Northern Colorado
Hello All,

I am working on building a wood burning sauna out of an old dry shed on my property. I have been looking for an used old wood burning stove and came across a Timberline Single door stove that looks to be about the size I am looking for and the price is about right ($120). Stove is the first thing I need as it will dictate the layout and build.

Will this be a good stove for a 5'x10' sauna. Is there any reason I should avoid this stove? I have been looking for a stove for a few months and I feel like the double door versions are too big and take up too much space. I plan on welding wire grate to the ext. of the stove to hold more stones on the sides.

Any info will help as this is my first sauna build and I am still learning what I am doing. This site has been a big help. Not trying to spend a ton of money building this sauna. I have used many in Alaska and on hut trips that were pretty basic and that what I am trying to make.

Thanks for your time,
Jesse.

Hi, mtnparty. I am from Northern Michigan and run a sauna myself. There are plenty of places in Michigans Upper Peninsula that build Saunas and make Sauna Stoves. If you check on NMI or Yoopers Craigslist you can see plenty of Sauna offerings.

The Timberline you speak of would be fine, just figure out a way to hold rocks on top. I have seen stone mass heaters in homes that have a Sauna room incorporated. Lots of folks put up a Sauna before they put up a house and most any hunting camp has a Sauna around here. Most stoves are set up to be fed from outside but I have seen a few from within as well, just preference or using what you got.

Having an outside air inlet will be a must. I have a barrel sauna with an electric heater out of convenience but, off grid folks run the wood fired heaters.

Your sauna will need to be big enough to have the required 36" of clearance to combustibles all the way around that stove. If you can do that then yes it will work

Status
Not open for further replies.