Timberline stove in my homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBev

Oct 28, 2016
MD
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. Last year I bought a largish piece of property in the middle of nowhere and am gradually turning it into a self sufficient homestead. A month afterward I found a great deal on a Timberline stove on the local Craigslist for $150 and snapped it up. A year later I have it up and running in my cottage-under-construction. I am new to wood stoves, but researched installation, and between me and a good friend, it's cranking out the heat. Before burning wood in it, I checked it out thoroughly. It seems to have never burned a fire, though it had telltale signs of having been installed in a fireplace. It looks like it might be an insert? I'm using it free standing. If any one has tips or info on this stove, comments would be welcome!

The most important tip we can give here is to make sure it is installed safely. Old stoves like this need very large clearances - 36" on all sides and adequate hearth protection. The second tip is to burn only dry, fully seasoned wood.

Reactions: MsBev
The most important tip we can give here is to make sure it is installed safely. Old stoves like this need very large clearances - 36" on all sides and adequate hearth protection. The second tip is to burn only dry, fully seasoned wood.

I have lots of seasoned birch, cherry, walnut, sweet gum, and oak. For now, the stove is on 20 -some inch legs, and has what I would describe as a steel she'll around all sides but the front with an inch air gap. It sits on 3 inch cement blocks, and the back is 24 inches from an 8 inch thick cement block wall. When it has ha a big fire going, you can rest your hand on the sides, back, and bottom. The top is hot enough I do cooking on it in cast iron. It is installed according to code, with a damper, double wall insulated pipe in the attic etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg

You're off to a good start. It's probably just the camera angle, but is the single wall pipe greater than 18" away from the stud wall?

Well I can tel you for a fact your floor protection is not adequate it needs to be much larger. I understand this is just a setup but you really need atleast 16" infront of the stove protected and there should be something covering the block so embers cant get down in the cracks. Also you should not reduce down to 6" pipe and chimney. How far is the pipe from the wall once it offsets toward the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.