Timberline Tree Shear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't answer your question directly but....

I just recently thinned a few acres on our new property. It was much too dense to use any type of riding machine to clear the trees without hurting a lot of other trees. I ended up using one of the larger shindaiwa brush cutters with a 9" beaver blade. The beaver blade has a chainsaw chain on it and it flies through standing softwood faster, easier, and safer than a chainsaw in my opinion. When I was cutting, it was nothing to take out 3 pines in a row in one swipe.

Unless the keeper trees are pretty far apart, it's an option you may want to consider. Even a small excavator is going to need a lot of maneuvering room especially with a cutting tool hanging off of it.

Kirk22 said:
I can't answer your question directly but....

I just recently thinned a few acres on our new property. It was much too dense to use any type of riding machine to clear the trees without hurting a lot of other trees. I ended up using one of the larger shindaiwa brush cutters with a 9" beaver blade. The beaver blade has a chainsaw chain on it and it flies through standing softwood faster, easier, and safer than a chainsaw in my opinion. When I was cutting, it was nothing to take out 3 pines in a row in one swipe.

Unless the keeper trees are pretty far apart, it's an option you may want to consider. Even a small excavator is going to need a lot of maneuvering room especially with a cutting tool hanging off of it.

This is where I was headed with my previous question. Kirk has it right . If your hardwoods and softwoods are on the smaller size I'm guessing your stand is very thick. I would just use the saw because the residual damage you leave in the remaining stand by running a machine will greatly affect the value of your future harvests. Skinning the bark off a tree this time of year(right now is pealing season) can subject the sapwood to all kinds of bugs and bacteria that can kill a tree in short order. On stands like what you describe I go in late fall through winter when trees are dormant and bugs and bacteria are dead . That way if I do skin a tree while felling it has time to heal over before warm weather and bugs return. I'm working on 56 acres of my own now and doing a total rehab on the timber stand. It was poorly managed for MANY years and in 85 was wiped out by an F4 tornado. A salvage cutting was done and what grew back was junk timber.I have been working it for 6 years now and have a ton of cheery 8-10" DBH. I plan on a small harvest (weeding of 10-15 trees) in 3-6 years to open it up again and a harvest every 10-15 after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.