Timberline wood stove opinions: the smaller single door freestanding model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eemarty

Dec 12, 2012
I'm in the market for a wood stove to heat about a 1000SF home in the cascades of oregon. There is also electric heat so I don't mind if the stove is slightly underpowered for the space. We have pretty mild winters the avg winter lows are about 35F.

I found a used Timberline on craigslist for $250 that looks like it's in good shape and has a thermostat controlled blower. Does anyone have any opinions on this stove? I'm also considering a Jotul 602C which I know is highly regarded here. Do either the timberline or the Jotul have secondary combustion? The space I have in the house is better suited to a long narrow stove shape than to a wide stove.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• timberline.jpg
    timberline.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 7,426
  • timberline2.jpg
    timberline2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 5,762
I believe that stove is illegal to sell or install in a home in OR state.

I know that stove is illegal to sell or install in OR state. Not OR or EPA certified.

Are the EPA ones a lot better? Do they use less wood for the same amount of heat? I could be into that. Would the Jotul one be "legal"?

Are the EPA ones a lot better? Do they use less wood for the same amount of heat? I could be into that. Would the Jotul one be "legal"?

Yes, they burn a lot cleaner and use a lot less wood. But as with all stoves, dry wood is important. The original Jotul 602 is not legal, but the Jotul 602CB is.

That is an older clone of a Fisher stove. It's a great heater but it's not very efficient.

It would probably drive you right out of the house as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.