Timberlite Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

op_man1

Mar 11, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Quick Product Review

I know many people here have been raving about Supercedars - I got a sample a while back and thought they were good. I certainly saw the utility of firestarters (over the use of paper + kindling) and was sold on that. I did find that supercedars still require a fair amount of kindling and, while not difficult to break, it does tend to break apart. I was not overwhelmed with the product but thought it was good.

For Christmas, someone gave me a box of Timberlite firestarters. For $20 (cdn), you get 144 squares which are good for approx. 72 starts (2 squares are recommended per use - 1 would probably be fine if you use kindling). The product looks like a compressed "sheet" of wood, about 1/2 inch thick. The sheet is indented so that you can basically break off as many squares (about 1" x 2" each) as you want with minimal fuss and no mess. Inexpensive, easy to handle (break pieces off), low volume for high number of starts... So far so good.

You essentially build a fire by putting the square on a bottom piece of fuel and build a house around and overtop of it. The squares are easy to light. The biggest difference that I saw between this firestarter and supercedars is that this one seems to burn a lot faster and hotter. Two squares will last about 10 min or so - hard to tell, because the fire is really going by then. I have yet to use kindling with this firestarter and have not had any problems getting a good blaze going. Granted, I am not using huge splits but they are by no means kindling (mix of splite, range of about 2 -6 inches).

Not sure if this product is sold in the US but it can be found in Canada at Rona. Just to be clear, I am not knocking any product - I thought supercedars were good - but for those that don't have easy availability, Timberlite is an excellent product.

Whoops.

Wal-Mart and Lowe's had'em last year. They are everywhere since they are distributed by Imperial Mfg.

BLIMP said:
i love cardboard & k2 but i'm crazy...............

Well I would agree with two of the three things . . . the fact that you use some cardboard and you're crazy. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.