Timberwolf TWP1 CUTS OUT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahtune69

Sep 15, 2015
Mass
Hi guys,

Anyone out there have their splitter shut off when you put a load on the engine?
As soon as the splitter about to split the wood motor shuts off. I thought it could be
bad gas but I put fresh gas and still does it.

Sounds like it is running out of gas under load. What kind of engine is on it?

I agree with duramaxman, not getting enough gas.

Something might be a little gummed up in the carburetor, maybe the needle valve that lets gas in the bowl, or maybe the tiny passageway from the bowl to the intake.
Something you could try is get some SeaFoam from a parts store. That stuff can do wonders with bad gas issues. You can mix it with the gas in the tank and run the splitter for awhile and see if that helps it OR you can introduce it full strength into the fuel line and let it soak the carburetor for a few minutes and then restart it.
Might save you having to take the carb off.

X2 on the seafoam - that stuff works

I have seen a similar problems related to the low oil sensor - In one case not enough oil in sump ( dip stck said it was fine) in another bad sensor. if you unit is equipped with that. could also be something binding the linkage up ( mice and such can build a nest very quickly ) Mice got into one of the trucks and completlly filled the glove box overnight with paper towel pieces not to mention making a mess of the cabin filter as well.

Reactions: bad news
Don't think its the carb guys, I took it apart and cleaned it out. I didn't see any gum or build up in the bowl. I blew it out with my compressor and it was pretty clean. I called timber wolf and they said it might be a bad pump, Im surprised that the pump on this went so fast. My buddies home depot special went 20 years without a hitch. I'll try the sea foam and hope for the best.

Could be governor is not kicking in or the pump is not going to second hi pressure stage
pump pressure stalling engine

Is the needle in the carb clean and moves without hesitation ?

bob

I called timber wolf and they said it might be a bad pump, Im surprised that the pump on this went so fast. My buddies home depot special went 20 years without a hitch. I'll try the sea foam and hope for the best.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's a bad pump too, even more so if your splitter has the Honda GX engine that I assume it has based on a little looking around I did last night.

Is it harder to start than it used to be? Have you tried letting it warm up for a long time before splitting and see if it still dies when the oil is warm?
Does it die as soon as the blade hits the wood, or when it is almost through and has been under load for a few seconds?

Johneh thats a possibility, I can split small size rounds but if its a good size one it just cut off and engine dies.
English Bob the needle is very clean and didn't see any sludge in there.

D9H, the engine is a GX and I just changed the oil and warmed it up for about 5-10 min
As soon as it hits a heavy big split it DIES!!!
Never did had this happen in the past. The P1 went through anything I put through it.
Puzzled

About a month ago, I had this same exact problem after the splitter sat for too long and the gas went bad. It took awhile to get it started and when I finally did, it would split pine just fine but die on about every other big pinon I put through it. It would die right as it hit a tough spot but before the second stage pump would kick in. Just kinda instantly.

I gave it the Sea Foam treatment and after about half a tank of gas it started running like a top again.
Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

Does it die like you hit the kill switch or can you hear it "load up" (build pressure) and die?

Could be governor is not kicking in or the pump is not going to second hi pressure stage
pump pressure stalling engine
Governor - that was the word i needed refering to linkage

Did you change the spark plug? Its cheap and easy. I prefer NGK plugs, wouldn't do anything else until a new plug went in that engine.

DH9, I'll go and give the sea foam a shot.

JAGS, as soon as the ram hits the wood it shuts off like hitting the off button.
Does not load up. In the past it would load up a on the stringy stuff and the motor would slow down a bit.
But this time it just flat out dies.

Mike M, I went and bought a new NGK plug and swapped it with same results.

Its fuel. Try the seafoam. Actually, the spark plug is not a bad idea either. I have seen plugs make engines act very strangely.

Quick question - do you use fuel that contains ethanol?

Jags, I put fresh fuel in there and it did the samething. Im going to pick up some sea foam and see if it solves the problem.
What exactly does sea foam do to the engine?

MikeM, Yes it does have ethanol but I've always used the same gas thats available around these neck of the woods.

I have seen carburetors damaged from ethanol.

What exactly does sea foam do to the engine?

Cleans all the little tiny passages in the carb and restore the lean/rich ratio that set on it that can be blocked by just a tiny bit of gunk.
Hope it works for you, it's worth a shot for about $8.00 for a little can.

Also check the sediment bowl on the shut off valve. It takes a 10mm wrench. Shut the fuel off. Take the bowl off and see uf there is anything in the bowl. Then put a container under it with the sediment bowl removed and turn the gas on. Make sure there is a steady supply of gas coming out. Also check to see if there is a screen in there. Some have them and some dont. It is possible that the carb is bad. My neighbor has a gc160 honda on a wood splitter and i cleaned the carb in solvent and my ultrasonic parts cleaner. Neither worked. Replaced with new carb with a new one and problem solved. Ran better than new. Remember the passage ways in the carb are very very small.

Reactions: bad news
Might have missed it in the posts. Another possibility is an air leak in your gas line. That's what killed my chainsaw engine under load.

Also check the sediment bowl on the shut off valve. It takes a 10mm wrench. Shut the fuel off. Take the bowl off and see uf there is anything in the bowl. Then put a container under it with the sediment bowl removed and turn the gas on. Make sure there is a steady supply of gas coming out. Also check to see if there is a screen in there. Some have them and some dont. It is possible that the carb is bad. My neighbor has a gc160 honda on a wood splitter and i cleaned the carb in solvent and my ultrasonic parts cleaner. Neither worked. Replaced with new carb with a new one and problem solved. Ran better than new. Remember the passage ways in the carb are very very small.
I took the carb off and clean the whole thing. There was a lil bit of crud on the bottom of the bowl but not much.
Was your friends splitter doing the something as mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.