Time for a Delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I was talking with my neighbor last night and he said the ironwood (pictured) that I delivered to him on 11-25-2010 is almost gone, he burns it for his overnight wood so I'll either bring him a load of white ash or sugar maple this weekend.

Since I never burned any ash would it be just has good for overnight burns compared to sugar maple?

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2061.jpg
    100_2061.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 477
zapny said:
I was talking with my neighbor last night and he said the ironwood (pictured) that I delivered to him on 11-25-2010 is almost gone, he burns it for his overnight wood so I'll either bring him a load of white ash or sugar maple this weekend.

Since I never burned any ash would it be just has good for overnight burns compared to sugar maple?

Zap

No. quicker.

[quote author="mainstation" thanks, sugar maple it is. His wood was delivered late this year so I've been cutting dead standing plus that ironwood. We have enough nice dry stuff stacked so if he needs it to get through this winter it's not a big loss.

Zap

No. quicker.[/quote]

I've been burning nearly all ash, and it has been awesome for overnight burns. Haven't had a chance to burn big loads of sugar maple yet (quite a stash for 2013/2014 though), so not sure about comparing - I do think he'd be real happy with the ash as well. Cheers!

I have been burning almost all Ash since mid January. This is the first time I have had this much Ash and I love it. Good, hot, long burns.

Flatbedford said:
I have been burning almost all Ash since mid January. This is the first time I have had this much Ash and I love it. Good, hot, long burns.

I'll try some of the ash we have, bucked up three years ago and stacked two which should make it good and dry.

Zap

The Ash I am burning is between 13 and 16 months cut, split, stacked and burns great. It is a ball of flames in minutes after reload and cranks out heat in the Fireview for a good 5 hours and them settles in for a slow bed of coals for a few a few more after that. Overnight even if I sleep late.

Finally 3 + years ahead. Now finally burning good dry wood. Hmmmmmm, wood consumption is way down, more heat. There just might be something to this!?

KC

iskiatomic said:
Finally 3 + years ahead. Now finally burning good dry wood. Hmmmmmm, wood consumption is way down, more heat. There just might be something to this!?

KC

KC, what types of wood do you have in your arsenal?

Zap

A damn good amount of oak, maple, choke cherry, ash, some hickory, white birch, yellow birch, some apple, and that pine and hemlock that no one should burn.

KC............

iskiatomic said:
A damn good amount of oak, maple, choke cherry, ash, some hickory, white birch, yellow birch, some apple, and that pine and hemlock that no one should burn.

KC............

Cherry,Beech,Sugar Maple, Ironwood and Quaking Aspen for next year. Pine we have down, I just need to buck it up and stack it.

Zap

Zap - white ash is a mighty fine fuel, but sugar maple will give a longer burn in my experiences. I hope your customer recognizes the fantastic quality of the fuel you are selling to him. Hedge, sugar maple, white ash - all top notch stuff.

Jags said:
Zap - white ash is a mighty fine fuel, but sugar maple will give a longer burn in my experiences. I hope your customer recognizes the fantastic quality of the fuel you are selling to him. Hedge, sugar maple, white ash - all top notch stuff.

Jags, I won't charged him for any of the wood I bring him. The last time he wanted to pay but instead I took a trade of about twelve old maps which I need to go through.

This man is the same guy that had me remove a downed cherry tree from his lot, he gave me all the wood which turned out to be about half a cord. He also sold us all the land we have.

Zap

zapny said:
Jags said:

Jags, I won't charged him for any of the wood I bring him. The last time he wanted to pay but instead I took a trade of about twelve old maps which I need to go through.

This man is the same guy that had me remove a downed cherry tree from his lot, he gave me all the wood which turned out to be about half a cord. He also sold us all the land we have.

Zap

In that case - I hope the man realizes how fine of a neighbor he has. Good on ya, Zap.

Zap, I'd take the ironwood, then the sugar maple and then the ash. I would not turn down any of those 3 though. I would not put cherry all that far behind any of those 3 either. It is pretty darned good wood.

As others have said . . . ironwood, sugar maple and then white ash in order of preference for overnight fires . . . that said . . . I burn a lot of white ash and quite a bit of it gets used for the overnight fires . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.