Time for a new door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runningmike

Aug 12, 2008
Adirondacks
I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but a quickie search didn't really bring up anything relevant...how do you know when it's time to replace the door gasket on your OWF? Two heating seasons on my Woodmaster 4400 doesn't really seem to be long enough, but I'm starting to get some runaway temps without the blower running. Maybe I should be checking something else?
Thanks!
Mike

AdkMike said:
I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but a quickie search didn't really bring up anything relevant...how do you know when it's time to replace the door gasket on your OWF? Two heating seasons on my Woodmaster 4400 doesn't really seem to be long enough, but I'm starting to get some runaway temps without the blower running. Maybe I should be checking something else?
Thanks!
Mike

Make sure the damper is closing all the way but I would guess that it is the gasket. You trying to burn the OWB in warmer weather so the problem is being compounded by the fact that your heat load is smaller now. The house isn't pulling the heat from the boiler as fast so it has a longer time to sit at the shut down temp. You could try turning down the high setting (like from 185 down to 170ish). The door gasket takes a beating during the year as you open and close it allot over time and they compress over time.

I use the green monster to heat domestic hot water as well so there is some load there, but as it's been in the 80's the last few days there isn't much heat going to warm the house. Maybe it's time to start heating the pool!
The door seems to close easier so maybe it is the gasket. When I first got the Woodmaster the salesguy advised me to give the auger a few turns after cleanout and closing to help seal that air source...oh wait a minute...did you mean the rubber damper on the fan unit itself? Maybe I'll pull the cover and see what's up in there.
Thanks,
Mike

It doesn't take very much of a air leak to cause problems this time of year. Check the damper and if that looks good, it does sound like the gasket. I just replaced one on a Woodmaster in the fall for a friend and that unit was 3 years old. That gasket was not flexible at all and it was overdue for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.