Time for a new floor (Part 1)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
After moving in 3 years ago, it was time to replace the last of the remaining carpets, and vinyl flooring in the kitchen and foyer. This tile job will go from the dining room into the kitchen and then the foyer. We selected a 6" x 24" glazed porcelain tile from Lowes that has the appearance of hardwood. A relatively new tile, it was $2.78 a sq. ft. It is made by Interceramic and is part of their Forestland line collection. The color is cypress.

Attachments

• Floor Rip.jpg
    Floor Rip.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Floor Rip 1.jpg
    Floor Rip 1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 359
Into the kitchen.

Attachments

• Floor Rip 2.jpg
    Floor Rip 2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Floor Rip 3.jpg
    Floor Rip 3.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 350
Into the hallway.

Attachments

• Floor Rip 4.jpg
    Floor Rip 4.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Floor Rip 5.jpg
    Floor Rip 5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 347
Laying some tile. Be easy on us as we don't do this for a living.

Attachments

• Floor Lay.jpg
    Floor Lay.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Floor Lay 1.jpg
    Floor Lay 1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 443
On this job, my pops did the cutting, I (Phillies shirt) applied the thin set and my older brother laid the tile.

Attachments

• Floor Lay 3.jpg
    Floor Lay 3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Floor Lay 4.jpg
    Floor Lay 4.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 347
Tile is laid and then grouted the following day. Wow...is grouting labor intensive! Very sore this morning. Need to wipe off the haze.

Attachments

• Floor Lay 6.jpg
    Floor Lay 6.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Floor Lay 7.jpg
    Floor Lay 7.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,231
Nice. Thanks for the pics. Love the pics.

This will help me in the future when I do some of my floors.

Thanks, Stax.

The absolute worst part for me is the haze. Keeping the grout from setting up on the tile without overwatering the grout.

Couldnt agree more high beam. Did some verbal sparring with pops last nite cause he works wet. My friggin grout lines better not come up lite where he was working!

Wow, that's tile?! Very nice Stax.
I helped my brother do his family room recently. Grouting is a pain with all the wiping, but I love the look once done. I'm sure you know, but don't forget to seal.
Don't forget the finished pics too! :coolsmile:
Verbal sparring........sounds like me and my brother, ALL the time. :lol:

I was thinking, fake wood, not the same as the real thing. But I have to say it looks really good, and I'm sure is very practical. Congrats!

Stax, did you need to do expansion joints in some places?

To protect against tenting.

Stax, that is awesome tile! You guys are doing a great job, that's gonna look fantastic when it's done. Hey, a little trick on the haze, use diluted white vinegar. Works like a charm!!

Maple, we didn't. Slab was pretty level in the dining room. We do however need to pour some self leveling cement where the dining room meets the kitchen. Thanks for all the compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.