TIME FOR A NEW SET OF CHAPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
Thank god for my chaps

let's just say they worked AWESOME

oh and i guess after two years it's time for a new set :)

good idea

chaps002.jpg

chaps003.jpg

chaps004.jpg

Jeez. Scary. What happened?
(I liked the last snapshot looking down at your leg. Caption: "The chaps have a whole with stringy stuff pouring out; my leg doesn't.")

who knows...

helping my neighbor lady cut wood today. and just about finished when i pulled the saw out of a log and must have turned it to my leg somehow. looked down and saw what happened.. done sawing for the day until i get new chaps (only one log length left anyway)

After seeing this I might just go out and get some chaps and steel toed boots. I have been wearing Jeans and sneakers!

i always wear the steele toes chaps helmet.New chaps for you! priceless

Shorts and t-shirt here in michigan 80+ this weekend.

dondude said:
The one thing I will NOT do when out cutting is wear shorts. Boots and jeans only. I probably should be wearing chaps too... I should invest in a set...

Even if my guardian angel assured me I wasn't going to get hurt today, I would put my chaps on. On some parts of my woodlot the pleasure of wading through waist-deep brambles like it was tall hay is worth the couple minutes it takes to put them on. I have several cuts in my chaps that wouldn't have been serious injuries if they were in my leg but my wife works at the emergency room and it just wouldn't be worth the grief I would get as she put the stitches in.

dondude said:
I didn't use to wear chaps at all, then I got smart and figured I wouldn't look good with a big nasty scar without them and now wear them no matter how hot it gets. ;-)

Shipper

Andy99 said:
After seeing this I might just go out and get some chaps and steel toed boots. I have been wearing Jeans and sneakers!

I cut wood to save money, and it's fun, most of the time... but one slip with a chainsaw and both of those are wiped out. I never cut without chaps, steel-toes, and hardhat (with eye protection).

As the picture shows, chaps are a good investment. From my experience where I used to work, most people usually cut themselves when they get tired from running a saw and start holding it against their thigh for support-that's especially true with a long bar. (We all had to wear chaps where I worked, so only the chaps got cut)

One good thing about chaps too is they keep your pants from getting so dirty and oily from running the saw. Good brier protection too.

Hmm.... Maybe I should get a set.......

I was wearing my workboots, jeans, hooded sweatshirt, hearing protectors, ball cap and my glasses.. (Yah, I know, they're not safety glasses, but better than nothing..)

Safety First!!

I wear mine in the summer with shorts under them. Its cool enough and I just unclip them when loading wood or clearing branches. I'd rather be safe than the coin flip.
Chad

Yup, I second that emotion on the shorts and chaps - Keeps the gams looking good too. One thing I would recommend is to spend the extra $10 to $20 and get the full wrap chaps instead of the regular front only. They don't seem to twist as much and the protection stays where it needs to be.

Just bumped into a guy I know and he showed me his scar, nasty and very long. He asked me if I had chaps and said yes I do, he's going to get them also.

Smokey said:
Just bumped into a guy I know and he showed me his scar, nasty and very long. He asked me if I had chaps and said yes I do, he's going to get them also.
Did his scar look anything like this?

Shipper

Attachments

• 9-17-07_600_450.jpg
    9-17-07_600_450.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 360
Shipper50 said:
Smokey said:
Did his scar look anything like this?

Shipper
Wow i pass out just looking at blood darn right i dont cut with out them!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the orange ones. I think the blue do not stand out enough for the eyes to realize how close the saw is. Plus you stand out in the woods and hopefully are not mistaken for a deer.

myzamboni said:
Buy the orange ones. I think the blue do not stand out enough for the eyes to realize how close the saw is. Plus you stand out in the woods and hopefully are not mistaken for a deer.
You got it! thats one ugly cut and i use the 9 ply

For a great price on full wraps, look at labonville.com. Their full wrap chaps are a great price (66.95), and right now you can save 10% on top right out the door. Make sure you measure right for them, as what you would think will be the right size for you will prob. be too short. No frills, but great chaps.
Hope this "cheap" cost will get at least one person to pick up a set...
Chad

I own a pair of full wrap around Oregon chaps. I didn't even know that Oregon made PPE....maybe it's just for the European market. My father in law insisted that he bring me the pair from France, and that I not buy a pair (because of cost). Cutting without them is and was stupid.

How quickly one tires/gets careless is amazing when you're using a saw.... Especially in semi-hot weather. A risk you'd never take the first 15 minutes, suddenly seems acceptable 3 hours in.

Chaps, steel toes, a pro forest helmet system, and chaninsaw gloves are all MANDATORY as far as I'm concerned. If you really want to be cool, you can add loggers boots, and a safety vest or jacket to the mix.... But I'm only a weekend warrior.... not a pro.

Wear leather gloves and a t shirt. Most of the work is below the belt and the kicks aren't getting above there. I have the hat, but am looking into the new Bailey's hat. Looks really nice.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.