Time for cat #5!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With cat inflation also comes wood inflation. Can’t really guess whether either item will change. Cats have remained very steady.

The big “leap” is the 20% wood savings which is what I measured as have many other full time wood heaters but that’s variable. Wood usage efficiency over a winter is not equivalent to the steady state efficiency rating the epa gives a stove.

I understand that this is academic and just for fun.
The 20% improvement makes sense. This was compared to the Heritage which was sending a lot of heat up the flue. I can remember us discussing how much hotter the flue readings were compared to what I was seeing. At one point I even thought the flue thermometer was defective but then another Heritage owner reported similar flue temps.

I am sorry but by what metric does an old Fisher beat any of those stoves in efficiency? It's honestly just absurd

Reactions: Todd
I am sorry but by what metric does an old Fisher beat any of those stoves in efficiency? It's honestly just absurd
Wrong thread, bholler! ;lol

Reactions: bholler
No need for guessing and there is still much more to this most recent study, just under limited release. Full study can be posted soon, once deemed "sharable".

Environment Canada just paid to have a VERY extensive study done on efficiencies, VOC's, black carbon etc. It is based upon an Italian cordwood test method. The finding are very interesting, especially given the regulators are really looking at VOC's. But this is a snip on the 93 tests they did as it relates to efficiency. (We can start a new thread once the entire study can be posted)
I think he was referencing this by BKVP

Reactions: Ashful
Efficiency testing talk moved to its own thread

Efficiency testing talk moved to its own thread
Thanks for posting a link. 👍 Sometimes these tangents get dropped or lost when moved.