time for change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wannago

Sep 3, 2006
Midland, North Carolina
Hey guys just joined your forum and I got a question for you all. I want to get rid of my pre fab fireplace and install a free standing wood stove so I can get all he heat I can get. I live in N.C. and the winters are sometime mild and some are not. My question is, is there a kit that would let me make a transition using my pre fab insert to a free standing stove? thanks......

midland said:
Hey guys just joined your forum and I got a question for you all. I want to get rid of my pre fab fireplace and install a free standing wood stove so I can get all he heat I can get. I live in N.C. and the winters are sometime mild and some are not. My question is, is there a kit that would let me make a transition using my pre fab insert to a free standing stove? thanks......

Midland, you'll find some other long threads here about the subject, but let me make a summary to make it easier....

Two choices:

1. Most economical - buy a fireplace insert that BOTH fits and is approved for use in pre-fab fireplace - line chimney to the top with new stainless liner and connect to stove.
2. Other: Rip out ENTIRE assembly, firebox and chimney and replace with new metal chimney and stove or built-in high efficiency fireplace

You cannot take just any old stove and place it in front or in and pipe up. It must be an insert approved for such use. This is because of two reasons -

first: the chimney in many prefabs is not tested with anything other than the open fireplace and is not as heavy duty.
second: there is wood in the walls a few inches from your fireplace and a stove in front - and it's pipe - will not meet the required clearances.

Thanks for the information, I think you are right. I beleive I will tear out what I got, and start over. Now finding the right stove. I had a Ember Hearth stove about 20 years ago, and at that time it was a good stove but by the looks of the stoves today ther are a lot of free standing stoves out there to choose fromm. Any sugestions????? thanks

midland said:
Thanks for the information, I think you are right. I beleive I will tear out what I got, and start over. Now finding the right stove. I had a Ember Hearth stove about 20 years ago, and at that time it was a good stove but by the looks of the stoves today ther are a lot of free standing stoves out there to choose fromm. Any sugestions????? thanks

I believe I would go with a pellet stove in NC
I grew up there and know it can be 25 at night and 75 by 9am
Pellet stoves are now made to work off a wall t-stat
you could even leave the old unit in place and get a pellet insert

Plus with a pellet you may be able to burn corn and other things like cherry pits
and grass pellets.

Gastonia was my hometown from 1953- 1972 and again from 1979-1989
I am thinking strongly about retiring there in a few more years.

Lots of great stoves out there to choose from. Check out the stove ratings in the community section. Personally I would suggest Woodstock.

I agree with the weather in NC . I lived in Shelby from 1985 - 1989 and the weather was real mild except for one year that snow actually stayed on the ground for more than 24 hours .
homefire said:
midland said:

Plus with a pellet you may be able to burn corn and other things like cherry pits
and grass pellets.

Gastonia was my hometown from 1953- 1972 and again from 1979-1989
I am thinking strongly about retiring there in a few more years.

Hey guys, small world.

We lived in Caldwell County N.C. from `72-`77. Our first house was a tri-level which took all our money to move into. The house was all electric & had a large den on the bottom floor with a fireplace. The tri level had an open 10’x 10’ stair well to the top floor. When the energy crunch hit I tried feeding that fireplace a couple weeks before realizing it was a mission truly impossible.

So went to a muffler shop & had a guy bend 6 - 2” exhaust pipes, spaced 2” apart, into nearly a “U” to fit into my fireplace. There were 4 flat steel cross bars, 2 on the bottom, 1 on the back & top used as bracing to prevent racking. The 2 braces on the bottom had what might be called fire dog legs welded to them. Also had him; make up a 6” collector box & cut out 6 - 2” holes, to slide the tubes into at the bottom, & attached a 2’ extension to the left end of the collector box for the fresh air input.

I then took a old 6” fan & attached it to the extension which pushed the air into the collector box. Total cost was $75, & it did the job. The only electricity used for heat from then on were the units in the bathrooms.

On the way home from work twice a week I’d stop at a furniture maker, on 15th ave NW, & pick up scraps to put into several cardboard boxes in the station wagon.

Dave

homefire said:
midland said:

and grass pellets.

I agree with this also. Once a wood stove is going its not stopping till its out of fuel.

If you want to change the apperance of your fireplace many pellet inserts can also be used in a zero clearance set up. In other words, you can rip out the box and install the pellet insert into framing maintaining more of a clean fireplace look. Not every pellet stove can do this and there are clearances and insulation factors to follow. One brand I know of that can be used as such is Envirofire. I know Breckwell could do it back in the day, not sure if they still list them as such now though.

On the other hand, if you got your heart stuck on wood we here can sympathize. Just remember that in your climate you will have to be more aware of outside temp changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.