Time for new stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
I have had my Vermont Castings Defiant wood stove with a catalytic converter for over 20 years. It has been great. I always start up the stove with a higher heat and then close the damper to cruise at a lower temp. Last year I noticed when the start-up temp was at the high piont, I could not close the damper. That scares me as I cannot turn down the heat and it keeps roaring away. So then I would just close the damper before it got that high. Someone mentioned it had become warped. Is this something repairable or is it just time to get a new stove? I mean, this puppy has never been / needed service work except the annual cleaning by my chimney sweep. I love it. Are the new stoves as dependable today? I imagine they are probably more efficient. Is the glass front I see now as good at heat holding efficiecy as the solid closed cast iron?

Congratulations on taking good care of the old stove. It probably is repairable. Parts might be a bit pricey depending on what the issue is, but maybe not that bad.

"Are the new stoves as dependable today? " - well, ask us in about 20 years :). I think so, there are some very nicely build units out there still being made and some new options too. A glass door is not quite as good at heat holding, but it's not a big deal. The newest generation stoves are pretty efficient and it is really nice to see the fire.

Netmouse the newer stoves burn less wood but if you can repair your stove for around $300 I consider doing that if you're happy with it. A new stove will probably cost you 5k...and with that scratch can buy you a lot of wood. I'm an old stove guy but since Feb we've been burning with a new EPA model and I'm completely sold on the new technology. It's hotter, burns less wood, no smoke...the whole 9 yards, except for the initial sticker shock.

savageactor7 said:
A new stove will probably cost you 5k...and with that scratch can buy you a lot of wood.

Huh? Maybe 5k with a brand new chimney. You can buy an steel Eglander for under 1k, then the price goes up as you look into cast iron and soapstone where it can cost $2500.

Netmouse, it turns out the damper may not be expensive. Examine the existing one as it pivots through the complete rotation to see if is warped. If so you can get parts at
Black Swan for a reasonable price.

http://www.blackswanhome.com/defiant-1910.html

yeah 5k for a new stove? ...I don't know what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.