Time to bring out the oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
I have a VERY small supply of red oak for this year - enough for ~ 4 nights of burning. Been waiting for some real cold weather and I've been eying the little stack for over a month. Looks like Thursday will be a low of 4* and Friday 1* - time to use some! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I have a VERY small supply of red oak for this year - enough for ~ 4 nights of burning. Been waiting for some real cold weather and I've been eying the little stack for over a month. Looks like Thursday will be a low of 4* and Friday 1* - time to use some! Cheers!
I'll be outside splitting by hand. Oak, maple, cherry. It'll certainly make me imune to the frozen temps! Got to love that oak, huh?

NH_Wood said:
You don't get oak in your parts? I would think NH would be loaded with Oak. Plenty where I am in Southern MA.

I am down the road from NH_Wood and I am certain he will confirm that this area is loaded with oak. I have been eying a monster outside my window since I moved here 5 years ago...just have to get the courage to take it down. Don't want to end up as a video on youtube when it takes out my chimney and half the house!

Oak is pretty much all that is on this place. I actually found one ash tree two years ago and cut it down to see what you guys were talking about. Stuff burns pretty good. Now I know where people get that line about smacking splits together and it ringing if dry. They must be taking about ash. Bone dry oak ain't gonna ring lately.

Looks like we'll get into the single digits tonight so I grabbed a few pieces of hickory to mix into the white ash.

Remkel said:
I am down the road from NH_Wood and I am certain he will confirm that this area is loaded with oak. I have been eying a monster outside my window since I moved here 5 years ago...just have to get the courage to take it down. Don't want to end up as a video on youtube when it takes out my chimney and half the house!

stejus - yup, plenty of oak here, just not much in my stacks for this winter - ended up about 90% ash, but.....won't complain there. Next 4 years should have no less than 50% oak, so I'm looking forward to those stacks! Cheers!

small stack of it? 4 nights?

I feel for you. at least you get to expirence. a real treat.

Brother Bart, I must agree Oak just wont 'ring' maybe a 'crack' but not the baseball sound. hey wait dont they make bats out of ash....

Stump_Branch said:
hey wait dont they make bats out of ash....

And Maple :)

BrotherBart said:
Now I know where people get that line about smacking splits together and it ringing if dry. They must be taking about ash. Bone dry oak ain't gonna ring lately.

That's for sure. I have large Oak splits that are bone dry with cracks throughout both ends. Bang them together and you get a "thunk" sound. Same aged Black Birch, you get the sound of a crack of a bat. Small Oak splits will sound more like a crack of the bat.

Hopefully warm weather will follow sometime soon. Someone flipped the switch yesterday, we are already at 52F and burning electrons.

I have a decent amount of oak in my stack. However I've been burning black birch for the most part. I don't know if my oak has never been seasoned just right or what, but the bb sure does burn nice - I think I like it better than oak. I expect I'll run out in another week though so then it will be back to oak until it warms up a bit.

As to the sound - I agree each has a different sound when dry. However it does seem they sound very close to the same when green.

Right now all my outdoor wood is buried under snow (save for what is on the porch). This weekend I'll be digging up the pile to get to anything to refill the deck rack so I may just get lazy and burn whatever is closest to the driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.