Time to build a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
We're moving in 4 weeks and I have no place to store my seasoned wood...which is going with us.

So...I'm going to build a saltbox shed at the new house, half holding the mower and snow blower, the other half will take about 1 1/2 cords of wood or so. The rest of the wood...another 2-3 cords, will be stacked nearby.

Then...some trees are coming down, making way for solar panels... One big white pine and 6-8 midsized oaks are coming down. The pine can go away...the oak trees will be cut to stove length and left for me to split and stack. Once I get through my current supply, this new oak may be ready...

Not sure how much I'll get out of it...we're closing on the house in June and I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the trees in the backyeard when we were house hunting. (Can I say that on hearth.com?) I was mostly admiring the big flat expanse of roof facing south west, thinking about how many panels would fit. The answer was 36, then when I said we'd move the bathroom vent stack, the answer became 37. :)

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the trees
You are so in trouble!! Mind you the expanse of the roof might have distracted a lot of us too. Good luck with the move and the shed build ... you have lots of work ahead of you from the sounds of it. Pics of the shed or it didn't happen;)

Reactions: lml999
This aint solar panel.com, lol good luck with the move, the new place sounds really nice from what you have described.

Solar panels? and doing away with the pine instead of keeping it? ;hm;hm;hm

You don't belong here.

J/K, I hope the move goes good.

I will have 3-4 years banked without the pine, and it is big and gnarly. My last encounter with pine ended up - Pine 1, Fiskars 0. Not going there again. :)

We have been in our current house 26 years and have a lot of stuff to donate/discard before the moving truck comes in 5 weeks.

And my wife asks me why I'm running 2 half marathons before then. :) (Well, one was today.)

Here's something cool...I am going to replace all the PT wood on our deck with new wood...probably mahogany. Deck is 10x32, so I've got a fair amount of PT wood coming off. I just realized that the PT wood will be perfect for building my new wood shed!

I just realized that the PT wood will be perfect for building my new wood shed!
The framing members of the "Pellet Palace" are portion of our old deck. Some plywood and some steel and it was done!

Living in an area that gets cold winters and you are only storing 1.5 cords in the shed? Perhaps with all the solar going on you won't need a lot of wood?

When I decided to build our shed I took the advice of somebody here, was told decide how big you want your shed then... make it bigger! Glad I did.

Reactions: Roundgunner
Living in an area that gets cold winters and you are only storing 1.5 cords in the shed? Perhaps with all the solar going on you won't need a lot of wood?

When I decided to build our shed I took the advice of somebody here, was told decide how big you want your shed then... make it bigger! Glad I did.

Right, I'm going to build it bigger. :)

I travel for business, and when I'm out, my wife doesn't use the stove at all...which is what I prefer (she doesn't understand the intricacies of running a stove).

Also, I'll restock the shed from the separate stacks, moving seasoned wood into the shed periodically...

Maybe some worldly knowledgeable guy could stop by and teach her a few things.

Dunno 'bout the Mrs, but the avatar puppy is a looker :)

Dunno 'bout the Mrs, but the avatar puppy is a looker :)

They're a matched set. And they are inseparable. He plopped down on her lap seven years ago when we first got him, and he's stuck to her like velcro ever since!

I added 2" x 12" feet to my shed once and now going to add as much more as I can and keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.