Time to buy some chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am going to be cutting for any significant period of time, I greatly prefer protective pants or bibs as opposed to chaps. Chaps are of course great if you just need to throw them on for a short while, but they tend to be restrictive and uncomfortable. One caveat of pants/bibs is that they are not for warm weather, but cutting in warm weather is to be avoided unless you are getting paid to do it.

I don't think Husqvarna makes the bibs I have anymore, but they still make the pant version, which I think could be even better if you add good suspenders.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...s/clothes/pro-forest-protective-pants-summer/

I used to feel that way with chaps especially with the newer heavy weight versions but since switching to suspenders I find the caps are much easy to use.

I'll second that. Elvex chaps are very nice. The pair I own have a lot "fluff" in the shell.

The video of the chaps filler (Kevlar, IIRC) stopping the chainsaw dead in its tracks are why I got our FD to buy them, and why I will.

I was hoping somebody would say they have full wraps that aren't too hot in the summer. One can wish huh?

Actually I do most of my cutting in cooler weather anyways so full wraps it is. Suspenders...this will be a first for me :)

You can always wear JUST the chaps by themselves. :eek:

I have the Labonville Extreme Competition Chaps. A little warm in Summer, (not unbearable though) but nice for Spring, Fall and winter. One of the thickest available I believe.

I NEVER cut without chaps and steel toes.;ex

I like the idea of pants but it seems for the most part they don't tell you the specifics of the material like some of the chaps do. For instance, the Labonville full wrap chaps state they have 1000 denier exterior and several layers of kevlar. Usually the description of the pants is that they have a durable tear resistnt exterior and meet certain safety standards. While I want to be safe I want to get the best level of safety and durability that my $$ can buy.

Pants are nice, but I've come to like wearing chaps. If it's too hot, I can remove them when I take a break. I've been using the Labonville standard 6-ply full wrap chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.