Time to Change Heating Sources

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffy47

Jan 30, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hello All

Currently I have a 1/2 finished basement and the house is approx 1500 square feet

approx center of the house I have a double flue chimney. In the laundry room a newmac wood oil furnace(35 years old) and in the rec room on the other side of the Landry room a wood stove(OldTimer)

Our primary heat source is wood and I have bee burning about 8 cord a year and haven't filled the oil tank in 4 years.

I really want to have a more efficient wood burner for the house. We have been using the wood stove the last 2 years with a thermostat connected to the furnace fan. Reason for this is we find the furnace is just too hot when burning wood and then cold at like 3am. Burn times bite in the furnace.

What should I do. Was thinking about just buying a new wood stove and leave everything else but looking for some suggestions here.

I live in Canada, Ontario so I think there are some combination furnace restrictions but not sure

I'm sure you would want a backup in case you can't burn wood. Burning 8 cord a year for 1500 sqft sounds excessive, upgrading to a modern furnace or stove may cut your wood consumption in half. With your footage, if a stove does the job then I would strongly consider that option. If your looking for a woodfurnace then the Caddy is a good option and also can have oil. I just don't know if the unit would be too big for the home, but you also don't have to pack the firebox either. Either way, upgrading to a EPA certified, or b415 unit will save a bit of wood.

Hello

Doing some reading and it would appear I have no choice but to have a secondary heat source because Ontario does not allow wood to be a primary heat source.

My wood burn amount is off alot it looks like average is about 3-4cord per year

I am thinking I want to remove the wood stove to use the space for living and focus on a new wood furance. I donnt know still looking for thoughts on this one.

Anyone have any ex[periance with the Napoleon’s Hybrid HMF150

Well with sadness I think I have made my mind up. The wood stove will be removed this year and will replace the furance with either a PSG Caddy or Napoleon’s Hybrid HMF150. Any thoughts on these 2

I've never seen a Napoleon, but both designs seem similar. Both have a cleanout access door, ash pan, glass door, etc. The Napoleon does have a by-pass for startups, and a little larger firebox. There's a member on here that has the Napoleon, and was having problems with the intake air mechanism sticking, but there's always bugs on a new unit. We have a Caddy and it's a nice unit. Pretty simple design, easy to clean and puts out good heat. Either way I don't think you would go wrong, both are clean burning units.

Status
Not open for further replies.