Time to clean chimeny?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
I visited a friend today with a Buck 91 insert. I actually figured the stove hadn't been used since last spring when I showed them some basics (I'd previously never messed with a cat). Well, they've burned about a cord of very dry oak, hickory and ash left a couple years ago by the previous home owner. Problem is, the bypass around the cat was never closed and I'm told the cat gauge never exceeded 350 degrees! The glass was heavily creosoted up even though cleaned often. Today I did a proper light up (per manual) demonstration, closed the bypass and she went right up to over 1,000 degrees easily, so I assume the cat is happy. Question: With a cord of dry wood burned so far, beginner stove skills smoldering things and our current shoulder season, would you recommend another chimney sweeping? It was just done at the end of last spring's season. FYI, it wasn't that long ago I was on the steep part of my learning curve too.

I would give it a scrub, why wasn't the bypass closed when they burned?

I always thought if the glass was black that probably means there is some sort of creosote build up in the chimney. If in doubt go ahead and clean the chimney. Better to be safe than sorry

I always thought if the glass was black that probably means there is some sort of creosote build up in the chimney. If in doubt go ahead and clean the chimney. Better to be safe than sorry
Heck my glass gets dirty easy but my pipes stay pretty clean.
How do you like that Liberty?
That was my second choice.

It may not hurt to climb up the roof and take a look down the flue. If that is not possible cleaning the chimney is not that time consuming and makes for better sleep at night. Do you use a sooteater? http://gardusinc.com/sooteater.html

Heck my glass gets dirty easy but my pipes stay pretty clean.
How do you like that Liberty?
That was my second choice.
I realized that after I hit the post reply button. I love love love my liberty. 8 to 12 hour burns easily with a full load although with full loads it heats my house to 90 and above heck if conditions are right and the stairs aline I can load it with 4 splits at 10 pm and not load again until 8 the next morning. Cooking away now with a full load for the night. Just switched out the glass for the etched elk glass and its a completely different looking stove:)

Yes, for the first year I would inspect the chimney after each cord burned. Tell the sweep you want an inspection and not a cleaning if it is not needed.

I realized that after I hit the post reply button. I love love love my liberty. 8 to 12 hour burns easily with a full load although with full loads it heats my house to 90 and above heck if conditions are right and the stairs aline I can load it with 4 splits at 10 pm and not load again until 8 the next morning. Cooking away now with a full load for the night. Just switched out the glass for the etched elk glass and its a completely different looking stove:)
It was my 1st choice actually because i was not sure if this cat stove would do what they said it would.
The Liberty is sure better looking also.
I had pretty much the same BK stove for a long time sans cat and it actually had a bigger box because there was no cat...but even at that 10 hours of useful heat was about it. So i was skeptical about the cat king.
The diff is night and day,so I'm happy.
But I do believe I would have been fine with the Liberty also.

Too keep on topic for the op i would tell them clean it again just for peace of mind.

They never closed the bypass because they didn't know how to use it. Could have been worse ..... Lighting stove with it closed.......

Status
Not open for further replies.