Time to clean the Beast...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
It will be getting cool here soon time to clean the stove out. Is there any way to clean the cats?

I'm not familiar with your stove or where the cat is located, but in general most people remove their cats for cleaning. The two most popular methods I've heard people mention is to use a soft brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner and softly vacuum up the ash accumulation. Another method is to use a soft bristle paint brush and lightly brush the surface to knock off any ash. What I have used effectively is to set my air compressor on a very low pressure and blow the ash out of the cat by slowly passing the air stream over the holes in the cat. However, be cautious if you use this technique to be sure your air pressure is set low. If you blast a ceramic cat at close range at high pressure it will look like had a go at it with a pressure washer and probably be ruined. Good luck with your procrastinated cleaning!

CAUTION: If you must use air pressure, buy some canned air like Dust-Off Electonics Duster.

The problem with using an air compressor is that if it is just a little too much pressure, you can literally blow off some of the metals that are in the catalyst and, of course, there goes the cat. It may last a little longer but won't last nearly as long as if you did not use that method at all.

Another method of cleaning the cat is with vinegar and water. You need to remove the cat from the stove to do this and if it is possible, I recommend doing it outdoors because the vinegar will smell up the house a bit.

I thought I had a pdf file on that cleaning but right now can't find it. If you would like it, let me know and I'm sure I can come up with it soon.

Yes, you have to use very low pressure, like I mentioned. I set my compressor so the air comes out under less pressure than those spray cans put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.