Time to cover my wood I guess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
Well I guess its that time of year to cover the wood. I don't have any woodshed yet so I guess its back to the tarps. Big pain... I made it work last year, but there has to be a better way. I have seen some pics with people using medal roofing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

I think metal roofing would be better than tarps.
For years, I learned to hate tarps.

Figure some way to secure it in case you get high winds. (Screw it to pallets & secure the pallets? ? )
Flying metal more dangerous than flying tarps ;)

I liked your: "I don't have any woodshed yet"
When you do, no more tarps :)
1 of the best things I've done for my wood burning process is the woodshed (wood port)

Reactions: PapaDave
Yep, once we get another dry spell I'll be getting my wood covered too....in the shed that its. Not yet having the shed says you will one day?...if so you'll probably be like me and wonder after it's up and filled why you waited so long.

I think metal roofing would be better than tarps.
For years, I learned to hate tarps.

Figure some way to secure it in case you get high winds. (Screw it to pallets & secure the pallets? ? )
Flying metal more dangerous than flying tarps ;)

I liked your: "I don't have any woodshed yet"
When you do, no more tarps :)
1 of the best things I've done for my wood burning process is the woodshed (wood port)

I tie gallon containers filled with earth or sand, and sometimes even water but don't quite fill those...to the grommets...holds the tarp down well. Just pick them up and put on top of the pile when i want wood...again, holds the tarp out of the way well. Not saying I wouldn't rather have something other than tarps, but you use what you can....Could use 5 gallon containers at each corner and would not need them the length of the tarp...but wouldn't be so easy to toss on top to get at the wood....5 gallon might be a good idea for the stacks not being used at the moment, actually...don't know why I never thought of it...

right now its a couple small shed and the rest of the stacks have plywood on top them with some large rounds to keep them in place during the windy days

I found some on my local craiglist and if he still has it this weekend Im gonna try and grab it, $5 a sheet, 6' long, you have to keep checking and get lucky. If I dont get this roofing is tarps for me again too.

I found some on my local craiglist and if he still has it this weekend Im gonna try and grab it, $5 a sheet, 6' long, you have to keep checking and get lucky. If I dont get this roofing is tarps for me again too.

Good luck

Well I guess its that time of year to cover the wood. I don't have any woodshed yet so I guess its back to the tarps. Big pain... I made it work last year, but there has to be a better way. I have seen some pics with people using medal roofing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Not having a wood shed is not a big problem at all. We now pile some wood in our barn for winter but before we put the barn up it had been a longggggg time without a place for wood. We never had a problem though. The metal roofing works great but we've also used tarps too. Certainly not my favorite way though.

Christmas-2008a.JPG

Something you might consider is putting something like pallets on top of the wood before covering with the tarps. This would keep the tarps up off the wood so that they would not freeze to the top of the pile. It would also allow for some air to be between the wood and tarp which would keep things much drier.

Reactions: etiger2007
Status
Not open for further replies.