Time to do a major clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Burned thru almost 3 ton's, flame's getting lazier, no more pellets dancing out of the burnpot, I'm sure if I just move the stove slightly the ash will drop down the pipe and the party's over!
And I have 3" SS pipe going up 20'...not 4"!

I had no choice yesterday morning. The stove started burning with heavy soot so with temps being -14, powered the brush through the venting and did the rest of the stove. Was hoping to get to the weekend. Oh well. Both stoves clean now so can do something else this weekend. February has been one big cold pain in the back side.

First year I burned pellets never knew about the "big" clean, so next fall lit the stove and pellet's would not drop, learned fast about clogged exhaust pipes and the pressure sensor, my old house I just had 6' of 3" pipe with a blockoff plate in the damper of the fireplace, for almost 10 yr's used that and boy when I moved and removed the pipe and plate there was some serious ash coming down

I had no choice yesterday morning. The stove started burning with heavy soot so with temps being -14, powered the brush through the venting and did the rest of the stove. Was hoping to get to the weekend. Oh well. Both stoves clean now so can do something else this weekend. February has been one big cold pain in the back side.

Bet you were out there in your Bermuda shorts right????

If only Bermuda shorts fit over thermals, sweats, lined pants and insulated coveralls and a heavy coat. Old friend that manages a helicopter service in Hawaii said that, yes its more expensive to live here, but you don't need to spend any $$$ on several sets of clothes and any heating and air conditioning. I probably easily blow $300 a year on cold weather gear.

...so do I. I've pretty much swithched to Merino Wool undies. Toasty without the bulk and more stylish than wearing my wife's pantyhose for warmth...... We have snow coming tonight.....Thanks....

I've taken some pretty good flak on hunting trips for wearing pantyhose under hunting clothes but they are warm.....

:eek:

You should be cleaning it out completely for every 1 ton burned, not 3 or more tons later !

Quite different from what my stove dealer told me - which was once a year in the spring when I am done burning until next heat season.

Quite different from what my stove dealer told me - which was once a year in the spring when I am done burning until next heat season.

Then tell your 'stove dealer' to come and do it for free at the end of every season. :p

Your stove dealer is FOS.

Hey guys I finally got to use the sooteater spinning brush I got from Amazon up the chimney and not much came out like I expected it to. I must have burned close to 2 1/2 tons, maybe 3 tons and about a cup of fine ash came out of it. I did multiple passes because I thought the thing wasn't working properly but when I shined a light up the liner, it looked clean. So I'm thinking for me I think I will clean the liner once at the end and once at the start of the season as long as I don't notice anything wrong with my stove.

Reactions: Peterfield
Sounds like you got a near perfect combination of stove setup and fuel.

Sounds like you got a near perfect combination of stove setup and fuel.
Well the set up is as far as my novice ass can tell, great! The pellets I dont think are anything special. 1 ton of Energex hardwoods. Then North Americans, Green Supremes, the White Pine stuff, o'malleys and stove chows. Right now I'm burning Stove Chows. Next I have o'malleys then a bunch of North Americans I pushed to the back of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.