Time to fire up! (my fire starters)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
It's that time of year! We make fire starters in the fall - some for us, some for friends and others for gifts.

Just a few pictures of our recent outdoor activity:

100_0930_noodles.jpg

Base: The base of my firestarters starts with wood noodles. These come from chainsawing wood rounds with the grain instead of cross grain.

100_0934reay2.jpg

Employ 'volunteer' cupcake tins: Tins have been sourced at rummage sales throughout the year. Take a pinch or two of the wood noodles and stick them in the cupcake tins. I have a few 'volunteer' tins. (Does anyone actually make homemade cupcakes anymore? :))

100_0935_melting1.jpg

Melt 'volunteer' candles: Again, candles have been sourced at rummage sales throughout the year. Melt thoroughly.

100_0941melting2.jpg

Volunteer melting pot: Sourced at a local thrift store, modified by a list member here per a sample posted here: http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/ IMPORTANT: Do NOT heat wax above 250 degrees! Hold the tray under the spout, open valve and drizzle into each tin.

100_0938cooling1.jpg

Filled 'cupcakes': I only fill about 1/3 the way up in each. If you do this, obviously, don't let the hot wax get on your hands. (Ask me how I know. :) )

100_0940cooling2.jpg

More 'cooling' pictures: We had lots of trays setting around cooling.

100_0942removing.jpg

Removing: Using a butter knife to remove. It helps if you oil the tins a bit - and if you have a brew handy. This is my friends hubby joining the assembly line. :)

100_0945results.jpg

Results: Some of the 'finished product'.

100_0948results2.jpg

Results, again: A close up to show how little wax goes in each - plus a little wax on my hand. :)

We made 300+ "starters" by refilling the tins as they were empty and sending them through the assembly line a second or third time.

A good day was had by all. :)

Shari

That is really cool I may try that out. we make cupcakes and muffins so the wife would kill me if I used the good muffin pans. Time to go yard sailing! Thanks Shari for sharing that.

Pete

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice work a lot of fire starters.

What happens to that wax in the bottom of your stove??? Just curious.

The wax burns up - just like when a candle burns down.

Shari

That's awesome and very cost effective if you can rummage source the candle wax. Currently I've been sawing up those starter logs from Walmart.

That's awesome and very cost effective if you can rummage source the candle wax. Currently I've been sawing up those starter logs from Walmart.

That big red candle was 50 cents at a rummage sale. Obviously I used more candle wax than just the red one though but the others only ran 25/50 cents each.

The cupcake tins: Max I will pay is 25 cents for them also at rummage sales.

The wood noodles are recycled from some large rounds I had here about 3 yrs. ago.

The wax melting pot was $4 at Goodwill. Plumbing parts for the pot were less than $20.

Electricity to do this was free - we do it at a campground where power is included in the site rental. :)

Shari

Very cool idea! Thanks for saving us money by explaining where to purchase cheap instead of using our wive's cookware. (that could be bad)

Reactions: barn burner
The wax burns up - just like when a candle burns down.

Shari

I have grates in the bottom of my stove and I imagine the wax running down into my ash pan before it will burn up? They are PURDY!

How do you light them, do you use the shavings to catch the wax?

To answer some questions:

"How do they taste?" Ha! Ha! If using a scented candle some of them smell very nice though. Glittered candles, melted, create even more interest.

"I have a grate in the bottom of my stove......" Well, so do I in my Oslo. I do a top-down fire so the fire starter sits near the top of the splits. Any excess wax that does not burn right away may dribble down to a lower split and get burned when that split burns. I think one time I found a little wax in my ash pan - no problem, just scraped it out. Wax doesn't just 'melt' - it also burns.

"How do you light them......" I light the noddles, like a wick for a candle.

"How about a picture or video...." Sure. We are doing shoulder season burning right now - small fires once or twice a day. Hopefully I will remember next time I light 'er up.

Here a 'burning' photo:

100_0977burning.jpg

Reactions: mfglickman
Pretty and practical . . . look out Thomas . . . Shari's Super Cedarless Candle Firemakers could soon be on the store shelves soon. ;) :)

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Nice Shari. And yes, we do still make cupcakes and muffins here.

We make cupcakes and muffins. I will keep my eyes open at tag sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.