time to let the fire go out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

WOW! We're supposed to be hitting around 58° here in central PA today, guess we'll let the fire go out and pull the baffles on the ol' Napoleon this evening and give her a good mid-season cleaning. I can't believe how mild it has been all winter. Kind of depressing if you ask me...........

I Agree! Our stove is only a few weeks old so I don't need to clean it yet but it is already 50 degrees here in South Eastern PA and it is going to 60 today! The wood from this morning is just glowing embers and I am not filling it again. I just look at this as a blessing - no snow - no ice - more wood for next year!

Did some processing this morning, T shirt weather. Still sweating.

Scotty Overkill said:
WOW! We're supposed to be hitting around 58° here in central PA today, guess we'll let the fire go out and pull the baffles on the ol' Napoleon this evening and give her a good mid-season cleaning. I can't believe how mild it has been all winter. Kind of depressing if you ask me...........

Still only 22 here, it will be interesting to see if we actually get the big warm up. If Syracuse gets in the 50's we will be in the high 30's.

zap

yep. Buddy is coming over to help me clean the chimney liner tomorrow. May as do cat. combustor as well!!

I just wasted some time doing the first sweep with the new stove. Got less tban a cup of powdery soot and dirt after two months of mostly smoldering burns. Hope the UPS man comes today with my new 3' section of pipe, before I go back up and put the cap back on.

Gonna have to fire it back up pretty soon. The females of the house are starting to get chilled. Into the upper 60s in here right now. Even though it's 54° and sunny outside, the wind is blowing about 25mph.

Holy crapola . . . normally I would say you could keep those higher temps, but at this point I have just about given up on this winter and its lack of snow . . . if we don't get hard by some good storms soon I'll be hoping for an early spring and a return to those temps since right now having just the cold without the snow is a complete waste.

I'm not complaining. Nice to see how much more wood I will have left over for 2014.

It was just too warm in the house last night so I didn't bother putting in any for overnight. There was enough ashes to preserve some coals to rekindle the fire this morning.

With all these warm temps, zappy is gonna have enough wood till 2025.... :lol: :lol: :coolsmirk:

zapny said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Still only 22 here, it will be interesting to see if we actually get the big warm up. If Syracuse gets in the 50's we will be in the high 30's.

zap
Zap did you guys get any lake effect the past couple of days? I wish we had some cold, the syrup season is supposed to start soon and it isn't looking good for us.

firefighterjake said:
Holy crapola . . . normally I would say you could keep those higher temps, but at this point I have just about given up on this winter and its lack of snow . . . if we don't get hard by some good storms soon I'll be hoping for an early spring and a return to those temps since right now having just the cold without the snow is a complete waste.
I agree Jake. I just hope this mild winter doesn't turn into a cold, wet spring and summer .......

GAMMA RAY said:
With all these warm temps, zappy is gonna have enough wood till 2025.... :lol: :lol: :coolsmirk:
yes a lot of us will be set in that department ......lol...

I threw in some pallet scraps and a small piece of unsplit wood keep the fire going. I'll put some wood in at bedtime so that the living room is warm in the morning.

It was great to have all four family members outside after school today. It was t-shirt weather since the wind was calm. I'd still like to run the snowblower again this winter.

58f must be nice! you trying to rub it in or what?

greythorn3 said:
Greythorn, believe it or not, I'd trade some of my mild weather for a couple feet of snow and some icy cold for the next full month........and I'm not kidding!!!

aroth said:
I threw in some pallet scraps and a small piece of unsplit wood keep the fire going. I'll put some wood in at bedtime so that the living room is warm in the morning.

It was great to have all four family members outside after school today. It was t-shirt weather since the wind was calm. I'd still like to run the snowblower again this winter.
yes it was nice to see my kids outside enjoying the weather. I, on the other hand, split some wood in the swamp (was formerly our backyard before the rains came in September). I'm thinking of getting some cattynine tails and lilypads fer spring, stocking it with frogs....it's ridiculous!!

Scotty Overkill said:
greythorn3 said:
Greythorn, believe it or not, I'd trade some of my mild weather for a couple feet of snow and some icy cold for the next full month........and I'm not kidding!!!
I can't complain about having wood to burn in upcoming years but I liked last winter's weather when there were several weeks of snow cover. Cold rain is my least favorite weather. I'd like to see a few feet of snow (without moving to Alaska).

This whole winter for the lower 48 has been great "firewood processing" weather.
You folks burned very little wood & got several more cords CSS.
Many posts of growing CSS wood stacks, love seeing them.
Good for you all, I believe your winters will show up again & you'll all have some good dry firewood when it does.
We up here are glad to post our winter stories so you can remember what winter is. LOL :lol:
Was nice today (+18 °f) to get the long burns back & be able to go outside dressed for normal winter weather & get some chores done.
Fire will not be going out here any time soon :)

Scotty Overkill said:
zapny said:
Scotty Overkill said:

zap
Zap did you guys get any lake effect the past couple of days? I wish we had some cold, the syrup season is supposed to start soon and it isn't looking good for us.

Hey there Scotty, I have a good friend that does maple syrup too. I thought he told me if no cold snap it may not even run this year ????? He was also saying something about if it does get cold and starts to run and then back to a warm spell those trees will start to heal over. Does that sound about right ? I am sure he knows what he is talking about but I was just trying to recall how he said that. I have never been around the syrup thing.

Locust Post said:
Hey there Scotty, I have a good friend that does maple syrup too. I thought he told me if no cold snap it may not even run this year ????? He was also saying something about if it does get cold and starts to run and then back to a warm spell those trees will start to heal over. Does that sound about right ? I am sure he knows what he is talking about but I was just trying to recall how he said that. I have never been around the syrup thing.
he's exactly right! This is about a week or two away from being the worst maple syrup season in many years, at least for our area. What you want to happen is at night you want the temps to get down into the teens/low twenties, then during the day you want it to get into the upper thirty's or low forties. At night the trees freeze and swell, and during the day when the temps warm up, the tree contracts and pushes sap out of the taphole. You need the freeze/thaw cycle to collect the sap. Once the mild temperatures set in for good, the buds on the tree will swell and the sugar in the tree converts to starch, and the run is over. If we don't get some cold weather in the next week or so, I'm not going to bother making it this year. The next couple of weeks are crucial, and our 10 day forecast isn't looking too promising for sugaring.

Time to let the fire go out?

Dang! Thanks. Missed the memo . . .

bogydave said:
This whole winter for the lower 48 has been great "firewood processing" weather.
Good for you all, I believe your winters will show up again & you'll all have some good dry firewood when it does.
We up here are glad to post our winter stories so you can remember what winter is. LOL :lol:
Was nice today (+18 °f) to get the long burns back & be able to go outside dressed for normal winter weather & get some chores done.
I guess this mild weather has its advantages bogydave......I actually tried to talk the wife into moving to Alaska and almost had her convinced, til she saw that show "Alaska, the last frontier"......she didn't realize how brutal and long the winters are up there. She said NO WAY! Lol.... :lol:

Scotty Overkill said:
bogydave said:
I guess this mild weather has its advantages bogydave......I actually tried to talk the wife into moving to Alaska and almost had her convinced, til she saw that show "Alaska, the last frontier"......she didn't realize how brutal and long the winters are up there. She said NO WAY! Lol.... :lol:

I understand her concern. Long dark winter days can get to you..
But with a wood stove, you have to stay busy, good therapy. Good time for inside projects.
To me, the worst month is April, painful time, top 3" of the yard is thawed & if you walk on it, it's goo & standing water everywhere.
Lakes aren't quit thawed. Snow is melting. Garden is a muddy mess to your ankles. Smell of Dog crap everywhere as it thaws.
Can't do much of anything outside but the warmer weather makes you want to.

Up to 26° now :)

We keep going in and out of mud season. Right now it's raining making more mud. Country living at its' finest! The noseums should be early this spring. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.