Time To make Decision on Insulation For Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred61

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Southeastern Vt.
I've done all the preliminary plumbing I can do on my new 500 gallon unpressurized tank until I can cool down the EKO and drain it to make connections. Thought I'd use this time to decide what to use for insulation. One of the reasons I went with a 500 gallon oil tank was it's small footprint. Having moved from a 25 acre mini farm with a 34 X 40 post and beam barn with 12 X 40 sheds on each side (toy box) and 24 x 48 shed, to this 1000 sq. ft. retirement home, I found myself with too much stuff. Sold a good share of stuff but still have many toys I can't live without. This fills my basement in the winter with mowers, tools, tillers, and even a Jeep Wrangler that I don't run in the winter, but only use for towing behind my Winnebago in the summer. Wrapping fiberglass insulation around the tank will take up too much space so I thought about polyiso. Since the tank is only 4 ft. diameter it would mean slitting the insulation board, wrapping it on the tank and filling the bends with canned foam. It will take about 8 sheets of two inch polyiso. to do the job at about $38.00/sheet. Made a couple calls two days ago to spray foam installers. Got my first quote yesterday. "Spray 2 inches urethane foam on exterior of tank + - 90 sq. feet $900.00". Anybody got any ideas on how to get it done at a more reasonable price?

Since it is to your advantage to have a high R value with a storage tank, there are probably no cheap ways to go about it. I used polyiso in 1" sheets. I put three layers of it. That was mostly because 1" was the thickest my home center had and I was in a hurry to finish the tank last summer paying $4.65 per gallon for oil to heat my DHW. I think polyiso is your best bet. One advantage to it is that you can easily open it up to get at the tank if you need to at a later time which spray foam would make difficult. Insulation is just a big part of the cost of setting up any storage.

I did the slit polyiso thing myself. Buy damaged sheets at discount from your local yards - you can save 50% in some cases.

Attachments

• p8240021.jpg
    p8240021.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 396
If you check with the local roofing company they may be replacing a flat roof and have used 2 inch rigid foam insulation available for a reasonable price. It may be a bit dirty but as long as it is dry it would do the trick.

Perfect Heat said:
If you check with the local roofing company they may be replacing a flat roof and have used 2 inch rigid foam insulation available for a reasonable price. It may be a bit dirty but as long as it is dry it would do the trick.

Not all foam insulation has the same R value, so be sure it is polyiso and not the cheaper stuff. Polyiso has significantly higher R value per inch than the rest which is why it is so effective, saves space, and unfortunately costs more. All of the above are great suggestions for saving money on them. Buying damaged stuff and salvaging the best of it is a great strategy if you have the time to slowly aquire what you need or enough suppliers around that there is liable to be enough damaged stuff for your project.

Try Craigslist. I saw a guy in Brattleboro or BF that has lots of used, various types. Or call Renew Salvage in Bratt.

Thanks! All good information. I just left a message with the guy in Bellows Falls that has the salvaged polyiso. Hope he still has some left.

I used 6" pink fiberglass to wrap my tanks and than boxed them in with 2" thick foam.

Go to my website at www.upnorthenergy.com and click on the photoalbum to see my system in detail.

NWM

Nofossil,

Is that foil coated bubble wrap on your tank? If so, is it right up against the steel? If it is in contact with the heat, how do you supposed it is holding up?

Fred61 said:
Nofossil,

Is that foil coated bubble wrap on your tank? If so, is it right up against the steel? If it is in contact with the heat, how do you supposed it is holding up?

My insulation (as best as I can remember it:

Stainless steel tank wall
1" foamed EPDM (came with tank)
Aluminum foil
Clear 'big bubble' bubble wrap
Reflectix aluminized double-side bubble wrap
1" Polyiso board
'Small-bubble' clear bubble wrap
1.5" polyiso board
misc fiberglass to fill in spaces: 3" - 12"
1" polyiso board
Plywood enclosure

I may have missed something....

Fred61 said:
Nofossil,

I would suggest using the polyiso seconds (or firsts) and not worry about foil faced anything, whether foil or bubble wrap. The scored polyiso is a fine insulation system that will stand the test of time without any further concerns.
Seal the joints and gaps with caulk and/or canned foam.

If you want a pretty exterior, you can use the foil faced stuff.

Tom

Thanks for all the good info. Went to Bellows Falls late this afternoon and picked up the salvaged polyiso. It was in good shape. Picked up 10 sheets of 1 1/2 inch which is more than I need for this project but I periodically have a need for a sheet on other projects. Only one sheet had a corner missing. Instead of foil face which I am accustomed to, it has a fiberglass fabric on the surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.