Time to Make our Insert Dream a Reality!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aboyandhisstove

Jun 28, 2013
Hartford, CT
Hi All!
I have read a lot of info over the last couple of years, mostly reminiscing and thinking about having a stove (up in NH), as I have burned only in the open fireplace since we moved down here and bought the new house. I grew up with woodstoves - my wife did not. So, we compromised on this (love this lady:) and we are getting an insert.
We now have a 1800 sq ft house, it is ok if it doesn't heat it all. One of the tradeoffs is that with little ones, hopefully there is less chance of anyone hitting the stove, so it is ok if it flush - even accounting for losing some heat.The previous owner had an insert and I still have the ss liner, so I will have some savings there.
So my plan is to buy an insert - probably online as I haven't found a good stove store here, and our local HD is useless for stuff like this, hire a local chimney sweep to clean the chimney, re-install the liner, and install the stove. I have two questions for you fine folks: 1) What is a reasonable guesstimate of the install costs and 2) I am really trying to keep the stove cost to under 2k - what insert is the best in this range? I read of the Lopi and PE, etc, but at 4k it is a bit pricey.
Any info would be awesome. Thanks so much to all the folks who post, I have learned alot.

Get out the tape measure. Need the width and height at the lentil and at the back. As well as depth.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis will be along shortly to tell ya about dry wood. ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Get out the tape measure. Need the width and height at the lentil and at the back. As well as depth.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis will be along shortly to tell ya about dry wood. ;lol

Thank you!
ayup :) my fault lol I guess measurements might just help huh?

fireplace is 40" wide 29" tall 18" deep

3 cords of oak drying for about 14 months now (however, courtesy of falling on the damn garage), 1 cord of scrub miscellaneous stuff from this spring all drying in racks. I noticed the constant mention of the dry wood and can definitely agree - you only get out what you put in

Under 2K is going to dramatically limit your choices unless you get a good deal on a floor model. Go down to Preston Trading Post in Preston, CT. They are good folks and it'll be a nice drive. Check out the Jotul inserts. http://www.prestontradingpost.com/ And go online to look at the Englander 13NCi, Napoleon 1402, Century CW2500, Drolet 1800-I.

For online pricing you might want to visit www.chimneysweeponline.com, www.overstockstoves.com and www.dynamitebuys.com

awesome! I will check them out- Thanks Begreen!
I was looking at the Drolet and Napolean they get good reviews and are good companies from what I have read, but you mention the Century...Ace has a Century insert that goes for only (only lol:) 800
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706810

but going by the old axiom...you get what you pay for...I would think it would be a cheap stove - so why is it so high rated?
Thanks again!

but going by the old axiom...you get what you pay for...I would think it would be a cheap stove - so why is it so high rated? Thanks again!
Who knows? And your right, you get what you pay for.
If the Lowest end is all you can afford at the moment, wait till you can afford what will do the job nicely!
You can't go wrong with Lopi, Jotul, Pacific Energy, or Regency!

ok, agreed! but that's like saying you can't go wrong with mercedes, BMW, or Range Rover...yet I'm thinking that a ford or chrysler can be just as good - that's where I'm at :) The idea of dropping of 3-4k on somehitng that can be done for 1-2k is what I am trying to avoid. But I won't sacrifice price for safety. So, I saw http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tnc13i--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1550131500.html but I can't figure out who the company that makes it. any ideas?

Thanks!

ah hit send too early... I am not familiar with direct connect, is that a normal method of connecting? I thought it would just be a collar that tightened stove to liner - or is that what they are referring to? Thanks

Hi All!
I have read a lot of info over the last couple of years, mostly reminiscing and thinking about having a stove (up in NH), as I have burned only in the open fireplace since we moved down here and bought the new house. I grew up with woodstoves - my wife did not. So, we compromised on this (love this lady:) and we are getting an insert.
We now have a 1800 sq ft house, it is ok if it doesn't heat it all. One of the tradeoffs is that with little ones, hopefully there is less chance of anyone hitting the stove, so it is ok if it flush - even accounting for losing some heat.The previous owner had an insert and I still have the ss liner, so I will have some savings there.
So my plan is to buy an insert - probably online as I haven't found a good stove store here, and our local HD is useless for stuff like this, hire a local chimney sweep to clean the chimney, re-install the liner, and install the stove. I have two questions for you fine folks: 1) What is a reasonable guesstimate of the install costs and 2) I am really trying to keep the stove cost to under 2k - what insert is the best in this range? I read of the Lopi and PE, etc, but at 4k it is a bit pricey.
Any info would be awesome. Thanks so much to all the folks who post, I have learned alot.
I'm happy with what I have, I will say, when you finally find the right stove for you, don't let the cost be the final deciding factor if at all possible, I think you may need to be closer to 3G to get something nice, I don't regret spending extra to get what I really wanted.... Gl image.jpg image.jpg

The stoves at overstockstoves.com are Englander stoves. Pretty much right for what you say you want to do.

You Englander people! :rolleyes: ;)

Don't sell'em. Don't get a commission for'em and in 22,000 posts have recommended that someone buy one exactly one time.

Next question? >>

Reactions: PapaDave and Dix
The Drolet, Englander or Century will be simpler but not a hugely cheaper stove. They make lots of simple strong stoves that will get the job done.

The Drolet, Englander or Century will be simpler but not a hugely cheaper stove. They make lots of simple strong stoves that will get the job done.
Yes your absolutely right, but will the wife be happy looking at it? He has to consider that factor....

Depends, there are lots of practical women out there that don't view heat as furniture. It's just that we didn't marry them. ;)

Reactions: Dix
ok, agreed! but that's like saying you can't go wrong with mercedes, BMW, or Range Rover...yet I'm thinking that a ford or chrysler can be just as good - that's where I'm at :) The idea of dropping of 3-4k on somehitng that can be done for 1-2k is what I am trying to avoid.

Thinking back on the purchase of my Lopi insert...take away the liner and installation costs, and it should be within your price range. Lopi is the no-frills model of Travis Industries. Same or similar design as Avalon, but less bling and lower price.

Morning folks,
good deal, you are 100% right about the WAF lol. One thing she just asked was whether it could have brushed nickel finish trim...so I already know that she'll be looking at whatever we get with an eye towards furniture-quality heating :)
I waited until summer to buy after reading how it would be better to do this off-season, so I am going to try to get down to Preston this weekend or asap and check out the Trading post there as Begreen mentioned.
If I buy a used stove - is there a general rule of thumb for how long gaskets and the such are good for? Or would you replace that when you bought it...I guess better question is - is it worth it? I don't know enough about buying a used vs. the new. Price is definitely a concern - but as i mentioned before, safety is the number one thing.
Been reading alot about the Drolet & Century - it seems that they are good stoves, with small fireboxes and maybe blower issues - but they all say in the reviews that they get the job done.
I will say that I have noticed alot of the folks on here have a Lopi - that is actually a big deal to me, as using what folks who know what they are doing sure ain't a bad thing.
Thanks all

Just an FYI - one of my neighbors had me help him build some wood racks. These are the ones I make if anyone is interested - they are easy to put together and work awesome - 2 2x4s cut in half, 2 landscape timbvers, and cinder blocks.
This is one I found online that looks like it, although I add a cinder block in the middle too. Put some rocks under the boards in the cinderblocks too.
Hope it helps!

images

Methinks that as hard as you try to stick to the budget, she is going to bust it. See if you can buy are floor model of a stove you both like and is a good fit. There are lots of stove dealers in your area, but inserts are less common on the showroom floor and used so be realistic in your expectations.

Personally I would get what you like the best and call all around for the best deal. Over ten years an additional $500-1000 invested is trivial, but a happy wife is priceless. I'll be curious to see what happens when she sees the Jotul C450 in blue-black enamel.

Depends, there are lots of practical women out there that don't view heat as furniture. It's just that we didn't marry them. ;)

I did. ==c

If cost is an issue have you thought about putting a stove in the fireplace? Your height is pretty good e. g. a Jotul F500 should just fit. Of course, it would also depend on how deep is your hearth. With a stove you can forgo the blower and surround and save easily $500 to a comparable insert. It will also heat better if the power is out and you can more easily find a discounted model. Plus, I would say a hearth-gate to keep the kids out is in your future anyway - flush insert or not.

Hi aboy- Lots of good stores in Hartford. Check out Superior Hearth In Marlborough or Milldale (Southington). Preston Trading Post in Preston excellent choice (See Joe or Erik). They'll show you moderate/expensive stoves. Like most people on here, Jotul, Lopi, Quadrafire, Pacific Energy, Enviro all great choices. For your heating needs, a Jotul Kennebec, PE Super, Quad 4100I, Enviro 1200/1700 Kodiak would be good contenders. Expect a liner kit and install to be around 1200-2000, check around, prices will vary, good thing is in summer people are more flexible trying to get your business. Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.