Time to Make our Insert Dream a Reality!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, Aboy, welcome to the forums !!

As far as your value, you can't go wrong with Englander/Overstock stoves. I love the 13 (free standing stove). It's an awesome heater.

I love my PE insert, it's an awesome heater with good burn times.

I paid $4 G for the PE, install,liner, etc... broke even the first year. Going on year 5 (OMG !!! I've been here a while !!! :rolleyes: )

Paid $1200 for the 13, with pipe, pad, what ever. We self installed this one .... learned alot around this forum. Broke even, again.

The 13 is going on year 3. Love it.

Just got lucky. With the brown stove body, black door and legs and perfectly symmetrical fit in the fireplace she loves the big sucker. Of course she had 15 years of feeding Old Brownie under her belt.

The WAF is important for sure. The OP needs to get a stove they can both look at year around for a long time. And like BG said a few bucks more spread over the life of a stove is nothin.

Reactions: Trilifter7
Hi All,
Just an FYI that we went to Northeast Wood Stoves in Manchester today, the store sign said they were open, but they weren't - the dooors weere locked and noone was around. They had a number to call for appopintments also - but that was out of service. Going to try Preston later this week.

ok, so I got a chance to talk to Ken at the manchester store - not sure what happened earlier, but he seems like a good guy who knows what he's talking about.

Down to the facts: He has a Napolean 1402insert with a silver finish door for 3200, that includes cleaning the chimney, stove installation, and the collar attachment - I already have the ss liner.

What do you think?

It seems a little high for off-season, but in the ballpark. Does the price include tax?

ok, so I got a chance to talk to Ken at the manchester store - not sure what happened earlier, but he seems like a good guy who knows what he's talking about.

Down to the facts: He has a Napolean 1402insert with a silver finish door for 3200, that includes cleaning the chimney, stove installation, and the collar attachment - I already have the ss liner.

What do you think?

Let's see:

Stove ~$2000 to $2200
Door ~$200
Sweep ~$100
collar ~$100 (? conservative guess; is that an extra item or just for attaching the liner to the insert?)

That leaves $600 to $800 for installation. Looks a bit high considering that the liner is already in place. Most people pay that here when the liner still needs to be put in. Plus, as BG said it is off-season.

If you like that insert, look here: http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-1402P-Painted-Woodburning-Insert/dp/B006OMMNNK Ask a chimneysweep to put it in for you or maybe even do it yourself.

yep, that includes everything with the webbed silver door, I got it down to 3100 if I buy this week. Also includes cleaning the ss liner and chimney he mentioned. After looking around, I think I am getting a good deal - especially as I really liked the napoleans - but didn't think it was affordable. I agree with the folks earlier who mention a few dollars over the life of the stove doesn't matter.

I got it down to 3100 if I buy this week.

Sorry, but that sounds more like a pushy sales tactic than a real deal. I would not fall for it and do my due diligence also regarding other stoves.

I went out & kicked tires 1/2 a dozen times with the PE purchase.

Can't hurt to look around alittle bit more..

I went back and looked at the original post and it mentions reinstalling the liner so I am wondering if that means it was taken out of the chimney. That may be part of the cost involved here. It still sounds a little high though.

yep, that includes everything with the webbed silver door, I got it down to 3100 if I buy this week. Also includes cleaning the ss liner and chimney he mentioned. After looking around, I think I am getting a good deal - especially as I really liked the napoleans - but didn't think it was affordable. I agree with the folks earlier who mention a few dollars over the life of the stove doesn't matter.

The satin chrome door option is pricey, it adds almost $500 to the base price at dynamitebuys.com. If $3100 includes sales tax this isn't a bad deal.

Reactions: Locust Post
Agreed...I did not think about tax. That sounds about right.

Hauled into the house and a good clean install with a chimney clean. That isn't that bad a price and a nice STEEL stove. Have I ever mentioned how much I like big honkin steel stoves?

Nice stove that will do a good job for ya. With a decent burn time for those times you are looking for more than ambiance.

Hauled into the house and a good clean install with a chimney clean. That isn't that bad a price and a nice STEEL stove. Have I ever mentioned how much I like big honkin steel stoves?

Nice stove that will do a good job for ya. With a decent burn time for those times you are looking for more than ambiance.

only once or ten times BB.....couldn't agree more though.

I am wondering if that means it was taken out of the chimney
ayup, matter of fact, the guy i bought the house from was upset we didn't buy his 15 year old insert for $2500 (still smh) so he actually took the liner out and put it out front to be thrown away. So, I grabbed it when we moved in :)

Yeah so that whole WAF thing, well turns out it can be solved with a beautiful brushed nickel door with a webbed nickel finish AND cool brushed nickel touch handle - only a mere $519 bucks it says in the pamphlet...
EPI-1402P-2T.jpg

lol I gotta figure out how this new found WAF knowledge helps me get a new truck==c

If you looked aRound, then you know if you got a good deal, only so many places in your area will sell and install for you, if you feel good and that's what you really won't, I say go for it, good luck

I would only add one thing. Lose any webbing crap in a door. Get you a nice un-impeded view of that fire. A big ass glass with nothing in the way looks really nice with a good burn going.

One of the real pleasures with my stove.

You started out wanting something kind of low end, iirc. Now you're considering something more $$ for appearance. Dunno if you've already ruled out the attactive cast clad inserts that have been popular here, now that you're in that price range and size. Thinking of some like:

Hampton HI300
Enviro Boston 1700
Anderlea T5
Jotul C550 Rockland

ayup, matter of fact, the guy i bought the house from was upset we didn't buy his 15 year old insert for $2500 (still smh) so he actually took the liner out and put it out front to be thrown away. So, I grabbed it when we moved in :)

Yeah so that whole WAF thing, well turns out it can be solved with a beautiful brushed nickel door with a webbed nickel finish AND cool brushed nickel touch handle - only a mere $519 bucks it says in the pamphlet...

lol I gotta figure out how this new found WAF knowledge helps me get a new truck==c

Scotty Overkill seems to really like his Napoleon. He may be a good resource if you have any questions. I looked at the Napoleans a little because the stove shop I bought the Buck from sold them also. I just had to try a cat stove and besides I already have an 8" liner in place.

Hey aboy...

I just purchased a Nappy 1402 last month. Have a look at my post here. Keep in mind I haven't burned in it yet, but I did some pretty extensive research prior to buying. The 1402 was a good mix of quality, looks and price.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ing-stove-just-installed.110420/#post-1460633

I was initially against the webbed door for the same reason as Brother Bart pointed out. But the wife liked it and we all know the value of the WAF. I think I will grow to like it as well.

Dan

Hi All,
Been pretty busy - but the dream is now a reality! I have been researching for about 4 months now and I pullled the trigger today.

To sum it up:
I decided to go with the Napolean 1402, this is a breakdown:
$3100
- Napolean 1402
- webbed silver door
- clean existing ss liner
- clean chimney
- re-install liner
- install stove

A few things...yes I was definitely trying to save $ initially - primarily because I see stoves retail literally for $1000 - 1500 that are reviewed better than $3000 stoves. For example - the Century stove that Ace is selling for $700 gets 3 - 4 stars out of 5 everywhere I see it - with quite a number of folks posting reviews. However, some of the Obsorne stoves I have seen that retail for 2500 - 3k have 2 out of 5 stars on average. So I'm worried about shelling out a few grand for a comparabel or worse stove. That being said, I have been trying to do every bit of due dilligence I can think of, one poster made a good point about "kicking the tires" several times - ayup true indeed. I was reading stuff online until my eyes were swimming - but when you go to the store and get to check them out - well there's no comparison. After reading everything I could here on hearth.com, and all the consumer reviews from the people who bought 'em - I am now sure that we are getting a good, safe stove at a good price, which has been my goal all along:) Well, that and accomodating this little WAF thing we been discussin'.
Hi Dave - well to be fair, if it was solely up to me I would have a nice big ol' smoke wagon like I grew up with - damn thing was bigger than a moose and seemed to eat a cord of wood a day - but it was the warmest thing ever. The missus is not a fan of that look though, so this is a compromise - and it sure beats burning in the damn fireplace lol! I went to a couple stores that had the Jotuls (i think someone else mentioned that she would like them) - I didn't see any Hamptons though.
In answer to brother bart - I hear ya buddy - she likes the stove and loves the door - which is the sole reason that this hillbilly has metal between him and the fire:) - I told her it was kind of sacriligious - she told me it was non-negotiable.
Dan/trooper - I have actually seen your thread - nice stove! Two questions since you are here--> which thermostat did you end up with, and did you find a good place on the stove for it?
Well, Thank you all very much - I appreciate the the knowledge, ideas and suggestions - there sure aren't a lot of places I can go and learn about stoves from folks who know what they are talking about and are willing to do so.
You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.