Time to replace Winterwarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arking1

May 29, 2008
Long Island, NY
My house is a 1600 sq ft ranch and a couple of years ago I installed a Winterwarm small insert. At its best the stove will warm up the room where the stove is and hold the temperature in the rest of the house. The stove never seems to generate a lot of heat. With the price of oil I was wondering if there are other inserts that generate more heat? I know a insert is not going to be a primary heat source, but it would be nice to reduce my oil usage. I am also interested in pellet stoves, but I am not sure the cost of pellets on Long Island and if it would be cost effective. I would really appreciate some input if it would make sense to spend money on a better insert.

Thanks
Ryan

Welcome Ryan. Is the insert on an interior or exterior chimney? If exterior, a lot of heat from the insert could be heading outdoors. If it's an interior chimney then you probably need a bigger heater. How tight and well insulated is the house? That's another area to consider investing in. If the house holds heat better you'll save regardless of heat source.

A pellet stove is a serious investment, but they can be nice, clean and convenient. There's a pellet forum here on hearth.com where there are some Long Island residents that can discuss current pellet availability and cost. Most people are buying their winter fuel now to avoid higher prices in the fall and winter.

I would kick the winterwarm to the curb. The small is rated as a 800 sq ft heater. While the large is a 1500 sq ft heater. Problem with the large is that it has alot of parts on the inside of the firebox, some of which will need to be replaced down the road. Try finding a medium size model out there that you like the look of, and wont be the same amount of maitance as a cat VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.