Time to season Oak tops and should they be split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
I've got about a cords worth of white oak tops, they range in diameter from about 1.5" to maybe 2.5" to 3", none are split. What's a general seasoning time for these since they are not split? At what diamter is it worth splitting 'em......

I cut oak limbs up into firewood and split every piece headed to the stove at least once. So anything the size of my wrist or larger gets split. But I am retired and have the time to fool around with my splitter. It is not really the most efficient use of time. Even so, seasoning time is longer than you would think.

If the tops were cut green, you're probably looking at a couple of years before it's dry. I would split anything that is splittable and let the unsplit stuff dry even longer than the split (if you even want to mess with that small stuff.) It does make good kindling, though...

That small and being white oak, possibly a year. Possibly 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.