1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Time to sell the unicorn PTO splitter, risky?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Highbeam, Oct 1, 2012.

1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    My neighbor had on set up on an old caddy....We had a Farmall super M on a 3 point hitch. There son was about a year younger than me once they let us do all the firewood processing the super M was the ticket. We would pull the logs to a concrete slab and processed everything there. (Man I wish thats all I had to do now)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    I think that is the best thing I have heard all day!
  3. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Anyway to "disable" it? Put a cover over the hydraulic fitting? List it as "Antique for collection purposes only" ? Make it inoperable like they do antique machine guns?
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    It's a totally mechanical device, no hydraulics. Power comes from a driveline that hooks to the tractor's engine so you get 30 diesel HP for splitting wood.
  5. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Can you use the PTO shaft for any of your other equipment?
    Would make it less valuable but unuseable.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I would sell it in good conscience knowing that no matter what paperwork you come up with, how much you scrutinize prospective customers to see if they know what they're getting into and no matter how much warning you give . . . folks can and will hurt themselves if they either lack commonsense or have a moment of relapse . . . and they could potentially sue (which is why having a letter certainly cannot hurt things -- although in the end how valuable that piece of paper may or may not be could be debated).

Warning stickers or not . . . as you say . . . there are lots of dangerous things being sold every day . . . and folks getting hurt with these dangerous things -- folks sticking their hands in snowblowers to remove the thick snow while it is running, folks sticking their hand in to the mower deck while the mower is running to unclog it (of course this is after they've purposefully disabled the seat kill switch).

Again . . . I would sell it without batting an eye lash . . . perhaps get a legal document signed at the time, give a few stern words of warning about the danger and not sell it to anyone who looks like they are not capable of being left unattended for more than 10 minutes.
    smokinj likes this.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I agree no different than selling someone a ms 361 for there first saw!
  8. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    no different than selling a used car IMO
  9. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Even a 1960s vintage Ford Pinto or Chevy Corvair? ;) :) Hehheh.
  10. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Did the lawyer at work agree that you have liability when you sell a used tool to somebody. You didn't design, manufacture, or write its instruction manual. What makes you liable?
  11. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Take it to flea markets. Far from home. Park far away, drag it to the display area in an old wagon, accept only cash, and wear dark mirrored sunglasses and a Stormy Kromer hat.Tell them your name is Bob, if they ask.

What could possibly go wrong?
    ScotO likes this.
  12. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    Yeah, I'd buy one!

Did you see my avatar?
  13. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Ah, that's a Pinto being rear ended? HehHeh . . .
  14. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    If it were not so far to ship, I buy it in a second. I've been looking for one or at least the "cone" part. I have a hyd. post hole auger for my skid steer that I want to adapt one of these "screw" type splitters to fit. I want to split the big logs into halves or quarters before I cut to legnth, so they are not so heavy to lift onto the hyd splitter. Running my splitter vertically kills my back. (sorry Savage). I have a liability disclaimer handy!;lol
  15. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    The attorney gave advice for minimizing exposure, whatever exposure I may have is made smaller by the proper liability waivers. He knows better than to give an "all-clear" on something like this for he would then incur some liability. It's a CYA world. Too busy splitting to list the splitter this weekend, but maybe next.
  16. oppirs

oppirs Member

Loc:
    SE Illinois
    Some on CL don't care. Different from yours but still an Uni.

(Update) owner deleted the post.... so someone may have called to tell about the Dangers!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/grd/3310289579.html