Time to show your wood haulers for the 2008-09 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Jags, nice FC! Been trying to find one of those for years.. Not that I actually *need* any more Jeeps.

The truck:
Greenoakload.jpg

Loadofwood.jpg

The dump trailer (7'x14', 14k GVW):
DumpTrailer.jpg

Not shown, 6'x12' landscaping trailer.

Heem said:
Wow, Jags, nice FC! Been trying to find one of those for years.. Not that I actually *need* any more Jeeps.

Oh, I don't know if I would go as far as calling it nice. That ol girl has really been worked. It plows mountains of snow besides doing wood chores.

Just bought this trailer I found on Craigslist for $200. Registration is current and title is clear. The pics are from the CL add (that's not my property, unfortunately). The trailer is somewhat of a mild project as the tires are cracked, it needs a tailgate, and the bed could stand to be rebuilt as the original wood is rotten and the seller, who owned the trailer for years and used it infrequently, just covered it with particle board. He also recommended adding gear oil to the differental.

But it will carry more than my 1994 Ferd Ranger can pull (meaning I'll need to resist the urge to overload it). It's a little tall for my truck - the bottom of the tounge (where the ball goes) is almost 24" off the ground when the trailer is approx. level. Eventually, I will get a Class III hitch welded on my truck, and then I can get an insert with extra height to level it out.

With the rack and the toolbox in my Ranger, it can only carry a little more than 1/2 of what it use to, so this will be helpful once it's squared away. Plus it will let me carry 4x8 plywood and / or "flats" without loading them on the rack. It will be useful for much more than just firewood.

Now I just have to find some more wood ... and remember how to back up towing a trailer.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 992
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 980
That's a nice find right there. I like it.

My homemade atv wood hauler is 15 yrs. old had to re-plywood it 5 yrs ago. I made it to be able to dump in this position and it can be slid back to center the tires on trailer. Also I can place a 3X4 sheet of 1/2'' ply in it and haul dirt or whatever.
The drop inside the center of the trailer was done for keeping the load lower between the tires for hauling out of the woods on uneven teraine.
600x450PIC_0480.jpg

600x450PIC_0481.jpg

600x450PIC_05071.jpg

And the big wood hauler......... full of free wood............
600x450PIC_0505.jpg

600x450PIC_0219.jpg

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
I drove a '97 Tacoma for 9 years - It was the best vehicle I've ever had, I used to load that thing up with so much wood the front tires would almost be off
the ground...

This spring Toyota wrote me a check to buy back the vehicle due to a frame rot warranty issue (talk about standing behind your product)...

And I just couldn't resist this GT - It hauls about 1/20th of a cord of wood :coolgrin:

I know it probably wasn't the best decision but it sure is a nice ride.
I think I had 163K miles on my 1998 Tacoma. I buy my wood in tree length up in Maine and whenever we'd be up there I used to haul a load down to MA. I was hauling my DR Field and Brush mower from Maine one time and my Tacoma's bed started hitting the cab whenever we hit a bump. When I went to a Tacoma website to groan about it I found out about the call back for 1.5 times the KBB value. I'm driving a 2009 Camry now but once in a while I miss the old Tacoma. That thing was untouchable in the woods.

I scored this tandem on Craigslist today for $300.00

Attachments

• a1small.JPG
    a1small.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 966
Put some sides on that puppy, and you'll be killing.

Whatcha pulling it with?

Constrictor said:
Scroungers are probably thinking, "hey, grab that pallet!".

1975 AMC/Jeep J20 (Model 46) "Pioneer".

VIN J5A46XP000307

J - Jeep
5 - 1975
A - Automatic Transmission
46 - Truck J-20 131" Wheelbase
X - 8000 lbs. GVWR
P - 360 CID V-8, 4-V Engine
000307 - Serial Number

VIP:
Jeep Corporation, Toledo, Ohio USA
J153481 - Sales Order Number
562 - Paint Option No.
532 - Trim Option No.

Am looking for the original owner(s) and/or person(s) responsible for it's upkeep to put together a complete history. I know it was in the fleet at television station KITV Los Angeles, CA, as an "ENG" (Electronic News Gathering) vehicle. I would also like to get in touch with anyone who worked for Jeep Corporation in the truck division during the heyday of American Motors. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• clay_j20.jpg
    clay_j20.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 940
  • clay_j20_motor.jpg
    clay_j20_motor.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 895
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Put some sides on that puppy, and you'll be killing.

Whatcha pulling it with?

2007 hemi 4x4

Attachments

• AAram.JPG
    AAram.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 880
Nice truck !!

Watch your weights with that tandem and the truck. Stopping is mucho importante. Sorry, it's my song & dance here. I preach the stopping :)

I prefer an 8' bed. Better with an in bed hitch. You won't pop your back window, usually :coolsmirk:

Constrictor said:

Nice score! What I'm finding in that price range are small and beat to death.

Try "Farm" stuff. A beat up bumper pull horse trailer holds alot of wood, and teamed with a decent vehicle, would work.

Clay said:
1975 AMC/Jeep J20 (Model 46) "Pioneer".

VIN J5A46XP000307

J - Jeep
5 - 1975
A - Automatic Transmission
46 - Truck J-20 131" Wheelbase
X - 8000 lbs. GVWR
P - 360 CID V-8, 4-V Engine
000307 - Serial Number

VIP:
Jeep Corporation, Toledo, Ohio USA
J153481 - Sales Order Number
562 - Paint Option No.
532 - Trim Option No.

Am looking for the original owner(s) and/or person(s) responsible for it's upkeep to put together a complete history. I know it was in the fleet at television station KITV Los Angeles, CA, as an "ENG" (Electronic News Gathering) vehicle. I would also like to get in touch with anyone who worked for Jeep Corporation in the truck division during the heyday of American Motors. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Now thats a truck. Got to love the J trucks. I got a 4.7 OHC V8 Grand Cherokee. Its like towing or hauling with a Bentley with all the heated seats and dual zone climate control but then its got the V8 and 4 wheel disks. A remarkable vehicle.

NoPaint said:
I got a 4.7 OHC V8 Grand Cherokee. Its like towing or hauling with a Bentley with all the heated seats and dual zone climate control but then its got the V8 and 4 wheel disks. A remarkable vehicle.

I've got a Wrangler. It's like towing with a Squirrel on sterioids. Plenty of power to pull whatever needs to be pulled, but damn don't get it over 15-20mph if it's any heavier than a jet ski.

I've owned and hauled with a Wrangler. The 2,000 lbs max tow rating is even a bit optimistic if you ask me. I wouldn't tow more than a real light trailer with it. I think old XJ's are swell vehicle to use as a smaller wood runner. They have the older 4.0 and AW4 that don't quit and then good interior space and can tow a little trailer too.

NoPaint said:
I've owned and hauled with a Wrangler. The 2,000 lbs max tow rating is even a bit optimistic if you ask me. I wouldn't tow more than a real light trailer with it. I think old XJ's are swell vehicle to use as a smaller wood runner. They have the older 4.0 and AW4 that don't quit and then good interior space and can tow a little trailer too.

I pulled my 3000 pound boat and trailer with the wrangler.. just to the gas station. When I got home I was literally shaking. 3000 lbs being the biggest trailer my state allows without brakes. :O

Still havent towed with the new ride, but I'm optimistic.

Attachments

• 08FJ.jpg
    08FJ.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,144
NoPaint said:
Now thats a truck. Got to love the J trucks. I got a 4.7 OHC V8 Grand Cherokee. Its like towing or hauling with a Bentley with all the heated seats and dual zone climate control but then its got the V8 and 4 wheel disks. A remarkable vehicle.

I originally bought it to be a hobby truck for a custom restoration, but as fate would dictate, it became my daily driver. All in all it has been a very positive experience. Some parts aren't as difficult to find as one might think because all of the full sized Jeeps (J10, J20, Cherokee, and Wagoneer) from that same period of time all shared the same stuff. Some parts, such as the original faux wood grain decal, has probably vanished forever... or there's thousands of yards of it locked away in some storage warehouse somewhere.

Anyway, it has been a workhorse and a lot of fun, too.

Heem, Now that is a beautiful ride. I love those new FJ Cruisers. I don't think that 3000 lbs will give you any more trouble.

This is another hauler i have. There is a full cord stacked in there floor to ceiling. Its a 1993 GMC 3/4 ton van.

Attachments

• Van.JPG
    Van.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,067
LLigetfa said:
Constrictor said:
This is another hauler i have. There is a full cord stacked in there floor to ceiling. Its a 1993 GMC 3/4 ton van.
According to http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html a cord of fresh cut Red Oak is 5700 pounds which is over 2.5 tons!

This is true! The van is a hauling machine! I also haul 60 sheets of particle board all the time in it. Thats 6,000 pounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.