Time to show your wood haulers for the 2008-09 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Leaf, thanks for the kind words. But I'm just on thirty, really like my trike, and the trailer only cost me $50 - I'm just a cheap-skate and new to the bush and burning. I NEED every bit of exercise I get - plus, yeah, electric heat is $$. Keep on battling, burning and feeling young!

1994.5 F350 PSD Dually here with a custome made (from an old pop up camper) wagon trailer. On New Years Eve a buddy and I logged up a fallen oak for a lady in the neighbor hood and got it all in the bed - stacked to the top of the shell!! Time to get splitting once the 12" of snow melts!

Three or four more trees to go and next years stash will be ready.

Picture002.gif

Picture003.gif

Backpack09 said:
TreePapa said:
I guess things are different in NH. An overlaod like that would get pulled over pretty quick in Calif.

Ha, I don't know about NH, but Mass abandoned all of its permanent weight stations replacing them with randomly set up mobile weigh stations. So, 99% of the time there is on one checking weights. No wonder our roads and bridges look like crap.

No offense meant to OTR truckers, they usually pay attention to this stuff.. but little guys with 2 axle trucks that load them over the roof line with firewood, they do the most damage.

Dan (Civil Engineer)

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about weight limits when I wrote that. Simply the fact that the load is above the sides of the bed and unsecured would get you pulled over here. Whether you're driving an F-150 or a bobtail or a tractor trailer. It's the safety aspect of the load over the top. As for weigh stations, for the most part in Calif. they're only on major interstate highways and a few smaller highways that regularlly carry a lot of truck traffic.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Don't have any pictures, but spring, summer and fall I use a 2001 Sears Craftsman 18 hp lawn tractor with a dump cart. In winter I use my 1997 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. If the ground is frozen and there's not too much snow, I just drive through the yard to the woodpile, load up the back, and drive around to the garage and fill up the rack. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it beats carrying the wood and it's a lot quicker!

sowaxeman said:
1994.5 F350 PSD Dually here with a custome made (from an old pop up camper) wagon trailer. On New Years Eve a buddy and I logged up a fallen oak for a lady in the neighbor hood and got it all in the bed - stacked to the top of the shell!! Time to get splitting once the 12" of snow melts!

Three or four more trees to go and next years stash will be ready.

Picture002.gif

Picture003.gif

I'd be more worried about all that blue snow... ;)

After a trip to get some of my emergency elm when I realized my maple cut last spring still isn't dry. The wood on the ground is what I was splitting for 2010. I am determined to get 2 years ahead!

Attachments

• truck_hearth.jpg
    truck_hearth.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 730
Yep!, the landscape beyond the woodpile and truck looks like southern Wisconsin...snow covered and frozen. Glad it quit snowing for awhile.

Regards,

Jackpine

For gettin to the hard to reach wood
bumper001.jpg

Once i get it back on the road :shut:

But for now it's 91 ranger 4x4 5spd. Doesn't haul quite as much as the dodge but it get's the job done.

jackpine said:
Yep!, the landscape beyond the woodpile and truck looks like southern Wisconsin...snow covered and frozen. Glad it quit snowing for awhile.

Yeah, it is getting kind of weird. Strange not waking up to new snowfall. :)

I liked seeing all the old vintage rigs still at it. The Old Nison was a treat and so was the ol' red '78 Ford. Good job guys!

Here is hopefully the last load of wood I'll ever buy. Started late and already working on 2 years, but buying this year makes me want to go ahead out 4 years or so. I had to drive 1hr on the interstate with this load.

Attachments

• truckload.jpg
    truckload.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,718
drdoct said:
Here is hopefully the last load of wood I'll ever buy. Started late and already working on 2 years, but buying this year makes me want to go ahead out 4 years or so. I had to drive 1hr on the interstate with this load.

What wood? Oh there it is... the camo made it hard to see!
Nice looking truck! Free wood seems so much easier to load don't ya think?
Happy Scrounging. No such thing as too much wood!!

BJ64 said:
I liked seeing all the old vintage rigs still at it. The Old Nison was a treat and so was the ol' red '78 Ford. Good job guys!

you talking about that one with the Wood Rack's on it also?

them ther is Home sawed boards from the Woodland as well.

here she is all snow covered from being out and about all day during a storm.

gotta love the wood Boiler in the garage cause by morning there's not a drop of snow on the old girl and she's ready to battle WI winter another day.

5347330262_large.jpg

though she's been in winter slumber the last 2 weeks I got an 05 sport trac to be my DD and kid hauler and the truck went to winter storage but I had to fire the old girl up today as my cousiin need "he's in tech school for auto tech" a vechile to due brake work on so he's gonna give the old girl a going over.

sublime out.

cabin2008001.jpg

For several years I hauled stove wood out of the woods with a Ford 5000 and two wheel trailer...sometimes it required chains and the ground could not be too greasy. Because the landscape is quite steep I had some close calls going in and out of the woods. It is the landscape that you can farm three sides of the place. ATVs make it less dangerous but it requires more trips to haul the wood.

Jackpine,

nice looking ATV and trialer you got there and Nice looking sheds in the background as well

her's my ATV and wood hauling trailer.

534733_246.jpg

Ignore that truck topper contraption in the back ground. though it does keep the weather off the stuff stored under it. the ATV/trailer's. mower ETC

sublime68charger said:
Jackpine,

nice looking ATV and trailer you got there and Nice looking sheds in the background as well

her's my ATV and wood hauling trailer.

534733_246.jpg

Ignore that truck topper contraption in the back ground. though it does keep the weather off the stuff stored under it. the ATV/trailer's. mower ETC

Thanks for the comments, Sublime. The building with the leanto is the old well house and all my cookstove fuel gets ranked up
underneath.

Jackpine

jackpine said:
Because the landscape is quite steep I had some close calls going in and out of the woods.

I'm trying to figure out where in southern WI the landscape is steep. SW yes, S ?

cabin2008005.jpg

This is part of my woodlot in Grant County. Steep side hills and rock outcroppings make it very tricky at times hauling firewood, but the ATV works very well. The landscape is in the un-glaciated area of Wisconsin.

Heres mine with a bunch of wood I cant identify. Personally I would love to burn the neighbors garage.. what a sight.

Attachments

• 100_2368.JPG
    100_2368.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,456
Status
Not open for further replies.