Time to start cutting - Need some advice about multiple stem maples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
I have lots of red maples, doesn't make great firewood but it beats a blank. In the front yard almost every one of them has multiple or codominant stems. Unfortunately the previous owner never took care of this problem and just let them grow. At this point I have read enough to be concerned about them coming down on their own and killing the whole tree (no targets for them to hit for the most part). What I am wondering is if I cut the stems growing off to the side and leave the straighter trunk will I end up killing the whole tree? I'd rather not kill all the mature trees in the front if I can help it. Here are some representative pics:

103_3610.png

103_3619.png

103_3617.png

Thanks in advance!

I would take my chances.....Should be fine but there is a small chance it could kill it.

I would cut it in the dead of winter, I think that gives you the best chance of not killing the tree.

It has been said that for cutting multi-trunks; the sooner the better.

I don't know if oak and maple are comparable in this regard, but I had a twin trunk oak that I let go for some years. After I took away one trunk, the tree thrived, and it seemed like only a few years before you wouldn't even know that it had once been a multi.

With a more mature tree, you may have to come back in a few years to slice away some dead wood. Not sure...just speaking from experience.

Bottom line: If it was me, I would not hesitate.

shouldn't kill the tree except for maybe wind damage from the Y in the first place.

Course, more than likely, if it's healthy it'll try to replace that trunk you cut off with a dozen more.

At my parents acreage (and lots of other wooded land in parts of the county),most of the White Oak & Bur Oak,some of the Shagbark Hickory was logged off in the 1920's & 30's.What remains is a lot of healthy 2nd growth sprouts from the stumps,some 3 & 4 stemmed in the poorer specimens.Quite a few sprouted from the stumps having multiple stems.Its quite common when the root systems are healthy.

I'd remove any of those that are leaning,crooked or not straight.The remaining trees should be fine.Less risk of being damaged from snow,ice & wind also.

Ok thanks all. Looks like some of them will come down on Sunday!

OK tree guy here, No it will not kill your tree, but it will open the trunk to rot and bugs... Maple would be the first tree I would try it with though. So take what you want and keep an eye on those trees for 5-10 years and make sure your not getting an unsafe condition.

We have plenty of them around here. You can cut them or leave them and I do not think it will harm the tree in any way....unless you make a mistake with the saw when cutting the smaller ones. Unless you plan on making some lumber from them, it won't hurt to leave them all together.

btw, I have no problem burning that maple as it burns very well. We burn most of it in the daytime plus spring/fall seasons. In addition, I like to put one in the front bottom of big loads because they light off quick and burn hot which gets the main fire going nicely. In addition, soft maple makes some of the very best kindling.

oldspark said:
I would cut it in the dead of winter, I think that gives you the best chance of not killing the tree.

same as for a lot of pruning. Take the leaners, leave the standers.

It will look like hell but if you can , cut them about a foot away from where the trunks connect and at an angle so the water runs off. This will give the remaining trunk some time to establish roots on that side before the cut trunk rots down.

Cut em

What I have read on the arborist site is to take them down in thirds. In other words cut it over the course of three years. Doing it like that allows the stem that is left to assume dominance.
Al

Um . . . we kill trees on this site! Not sure most of us are your best source for saving them :zip:

When I bought my lot many years ago, I had predominantly red maples in clumps and white birch. I thinned out many of the clumps by picking the less desirable stems and cutting them making sure that the final cut was slanted to let water run off. I never lost the remaining tree. The ice storm of 98 took out a heck of a lot of them but I still have a few and they are doing well after 20 years. One thing to be real careful is not to cut the bark of the remaining stem and if at all possible make sure that you dont leave any pockets between the stump and the remaining tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.