time to turn the heat on allready ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Have a forecast of low 47 tonight, high 64 fri. and low of 37 fri. night. Think I will have to turn the heat on sat morn to take the chill off. Anyone had to run their heat yet ?

92 yesterday, 88 today...not needed quite yet.

It's been in the nintys here the last two days but big changes coming for the weekend. was almost 100 here Tuesday.

Up here in northern Maine we have had a couple nights into the 30s, tapped the living zone thermostat a while those mornings. We keep the storage hot year round, goes for 6 or 7 days if I don't need heat before firing. Tapping the thermostat a couple times brings firing down to 3 or 4 days.

Reactions: flyingcow
I had a couple zones kick on the other night. Temps in the house dropped to 62.

None for heat yet. One night we got down to about 39 I guess. But we have had 80's recently. Keeping storage tank between 140 and 185 now with one fire a day for domestic hot water(DHW). I took this summer off from burning for DHW. Just was to busy. It was kind of nice to have a break from the chore moving wood around throughout the summer. But it was good to get back to burning September 2nd. No more burning oil for at least 10 months! :cool:

Still bumping my storage along for DHW.

I'm burning about once every 3 or 4 days.

I know the day I decide to heat the slab.. I'll need to stoke it up. That day hasn't come yet.

JP

Was upper 80's yesterday and hit 90 on Tuesday. Today we barely nudged over 60. Low in the 40's tonight ,clearing skies tomorrow and patchy frost overnight on Friday. I'm hearing the gas boiler kicking in occasionally and I noticed the radiators are running lukewarm tonight.
Time to round up a few tons of pellets for the winter. :)

Speaking of pellets........

As an experiment, I left the pellet bin on the Windhager about 1/3 full all summer to see what would happen to them sitting in the heat and humidity in my garage. I hit the on button a couple weeks ago and it went through the start up cycle and failed to fire.
I opened the door to take a peek in the firepot and found a bunch of dust in the bottom of it. Evidently the pellets in the auger had deteriorated to the point they were no longer "pellets", just sawdust. I left that in the fire pot and hit the reset to see what would happen and the boiler lit up normally with just a trace of smoke.
I'm not advocating leaving pellets stored in the bin all summer as a matter of practice to anyone. Just saying I did it to see what would happen. Looks like I will be burning the remainder of the old pellets out this weekend so we'll see what happens with the rest of the old fuel load.

Last edited:
Gabrielle put us into tropical territory for a couple days, but we should be back to normal cooler weather here in a day or two.

Not quite that cool yet though...

I've run mine a couple times to get the dampness out of the house. That and a fan on the floor does the trick.

Put in a Mitsubishi heat pump this summer. Nice for quick heat, plan on using it in the shoulder season, than when it cools down good switch over to BB and radiant floor. Have had to turn it on a couple of times for a few minutes.

It's been cool here the last couple of days, but the house has stayed at 70 or above so no heat yet. I burnt a load about once every 6 days all summer for DHW tho.

I've had two fires in the Quadrafire in the LR. All Douglas Fir 2x's that were being thrown out at a school jobsite, bleacher wood from 1956! Very dry and still heavy.

It's been below freezing a couple of nights and in the mid 50s during the day. With a thermos-tight house and a really thick slab I can sail through quite a few cool days before needing heat. That and my wife bakes something and the oven heats up the house quite well.

TS

Reactions: save$
Chance of frost here tonight. I don't like it, but I didn't take in or cover anything up. I'm getting too old to chase off Mother Nature. Need to learn to live with things the way they are. Once the tops die off the potatoes, I can dig them up and hope for the best.
I caved in and settled for $209 less my military discount for my MWP from HD.
Went to HD Sunday, but those working then didn't know about free delivery, so I went back today and saw the regular staff. I got my discount and my free delivery.

It's 2C (36F) outside right now but the house is stayin around 17-18C (64F) so there's no way I'm puttin the heat on yet, heck if the pipes aren't gonna freeze then neither am I.

It's 2C (36F) outside right now but the house is stayin around 17-18C (64F) so there's no way I'm puttin the heat on yet, heck if the pipes aren't gonna freeze then neither am I.
Turned the heat on this morning to take the chill off. was 69 in the house. I was chilli, and that's the deciding factor for me. I freeze way before the pipes. lol... kids probably would have complained If I hadn't turned it on. My daughter always wants to turn the electric heater on when she gets chilli, but I haven't run it for three years now.

Ran the stove last night. Got down in the 30's. no frost here, but very cool. Oh yes, I could have held off, but I am heating for comfort, not just to keep from freezing. I have found out that if the wife isn't comfortable then I am not comfortable. <>

Been running the house with one upstairs window open, house is hanging 63 to 70 F. Great t shirt weather if you're active.

Could easily go another 30 days without firing the slabs but I've been counting down the seconds until I can go whooo hoo and burn a full load of yard debris. Been getting my fix burning for DHW.

Status
Not open for further replies.