Time to upgrade boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tire man

Feb 15, 2008
Nova Scotia
I currently have an older Kerr boiler (with oil backup) and am looking at a gasifier this year. I have read most of the posts in this forum and still have some questions. My house is 20 year old, 2000sf with no shelter from the wind. I live close to the ocean so it's windy all winter (except today). The units I have "easy" access to are the Tarm, Greenwood and Greenfire. I am leaning towards the Tarm. Has anyone used the tarm for a long period of time? What were the costs incured over the years? How much maintenance (except loading it) does it require every day, week, month and longer. My plan is to have storage within a couple years. Will the Greenwood and Greenfire operate better with storage even though the manufactures don't recommend it?
My next boiler has to be as maintenance free as possible and be able to work on 2-3 fills per day. My inefficient kerr needs to be filled every 3-4 hrs and taken apart every month or so to clean the tubes inside.

Can't answer your questions on long-term maintenance. I installed my Tarm in December, with no problems yet. Tarm USA has been importing and selling these boilers for many years so I don't anticipate too many problems if the boiler is installed right and taken care of.

I clean the burn tubes every two weeks, it takes about 10 minutes. I go up on the roof and look down the chimney every now and then, no creosote yet.

With 750 gallons storage my boiler runs about 12 hours a day and heats a 4,500 sq. foot house. Outside temps have been between 20 below and 30 above, but we probably don't have the wind that you get. That could easily be done in 2 loadings.

I'm a happy customer so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.