1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

timer for blowers

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by andrewjoseph, Nov 5, 2013.

1. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    Hello all, I have two blowers on my fireplace which are controlled by a switch.There is no thermostatic controll at all, you have to turn them on and off manually.

Is there a timer switch that I could replace the current switch so that the blower could stay on for a few hours at night after I go to bed. It would be nice if they could stay on for a while but not after the fire dies down. So it dosent suck cold air in to the house all night.

Does this device exist?

Thanks for any help

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    I wish this timer had a little more granularity because I would like a 3 hour setting, but being binary, it doesn't have one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DD7YSE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is a digital timer with off/on/1hr/2hr/4hr/8hr increments. It plugs into the wall and the stove blower plugs into it. I press it for "on", have my evening, and then press it twice to run for two hours when I go to bed. Sometimes 4 hrs if I've got a good burn. If I get lost in the buttons I press till it goes of, then on, then 1 hr, then 2 hours. Go to bed. Two years soon with these timers, no problem.
  3. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    Beer Belly likes this.
  4. daleeper

daleeper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC MO
    Put a snap disc thermo switch on it, and it will turn on and off on its own. They are not hard to wire in, there are some out there that are adjustable so you have a bit of control over when it turns on or off.
  5. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    I should have I
    I should have included more information about my setup. Thanks for the replies.

My blower is built into the brick surround. And the wiring to the blowers is not accessible - behind the brick and drywall. I don't have the ability to get in between the blowers themselves and the control for them.

I am wondering if there is a wall switch to replace my current wall switch. I have seen timers for bathroom exhaust fans and am wondering if there is something similar where a longer interval could be programmed in.

This is my current switch.

Thanks for any other help.
  6. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    Sorry. Forgot to attach picture. This is my current control knob.

Attached Files:

7. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Maybe look into the places that sell hot tub equipment. Many hotels have timers on their hot tubs and saunas??? Just throwing it out there.
  9. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
  10. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    Thanks! This is about exactly what I was picturing. One of them has a 90 min countdown which would nice. I will research from those on amazon and try one out.

When the fans are running this old fireplace throws a lot of heat.
  11. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    90 min count down may be a pain as you would need to reset the timer every 90 mins. The programmable you could set it to shut off ie midnight. I think most of these have an overide where the toggle switch does the controlling.
  12. El Finko

El Finko Member

Loc:
    Mason Dixon Line
    I use the StoveStat-1 that mellow linked to.

Once you get it positioned where you want it, the blower comes on and off as needed. The cord could be a little longer, though.