1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Timer for Pellet stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mpking, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpking

mpking New Member

Loc:
    SouthEastern MA
    Hello. Bought my stove 1 1/2 years ago (Avalon Newport). Burned thru 3 tons last year heating my house primarily on pellets. Which was cool cause Oil was at around $4 a gallon for my area, but sucked in another way in that I had only bought 2 tons of pellets. (that emergency last ton was hard to get)

This year I've already bought 3 tons of Pellets, but I'm looking to reduce my pellet usage.

I think my biggest use of pellets was when I'd set the fire to low to keep the house warm while I and my wife was at work. What I want to do is figure out a way to hookup an external timer to the stove.

There is a thermostat option for my stove:
    Thermostat install sheet

But I can't find any timers.

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally, I'd love the stove to turn on at 4pm. (I'm not really concerned if I have to tell the stove to turn on in exactly 8 hours, or if it "knows" it's 4pm)

Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Why not use a setback t-stat, it should do what you're looking for
  3. mpking

mpking New Member

Loc:
    SouthEastern MA
    I actually in Lowes this afternoon, and was holding a standard T-stat (Thermostat) in my hands today. But since I paid quite a bit for this stove, I didn't feel like cooking the electronics without at least asking around.

So a standard T-Stat would work? Cause that would defiantly make it easy.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Like GVA said, Go with the stat. Or one step more. Go programmable. Set on/off fore week and weekends. Different times and temps for what ever the case. Make sure you get a millivolt model and you will be fine.

jay
  5. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yeah a programable stat should work fine but I'm not sure if you would need a milivolt or 24volt model.
    The sheet from travis shows a stat but doesn't say what kind.
    Any Travis stove people here? Shane...........
  6. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
  7. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Most of the thermostats are now 'universal' meaning both millivolt and 24 volt will work. I picked up a RiteTemp programmable at HD for $25 on sale. Works great on my Quad Sante Fe, which calls for a 12 volt (???????) thermostat. All it does is close a circuit. It even lets you set the 'swing' and adjust the indicated temperature to equal what is on your furnace thermostat.
  8. imacman

imacman Guest

Travis Industries stoves (Avalon & Lopi) use a standard millivolt stat. It can be a cheapy Honeywell round job, or a touch screen Lux model like the TX9000ts..they'll all work.

This is the one i use for my stove....works perfectly:

Attached Files:

9. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Thanks for confirming that its a millivolt stat. I love my programmable stat and I think we have the same model or close anyway.

Easily set the temps and time to fit my work(week) and Play(weekend) schedule. Price was resonable too! I got mine at HD.

jay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.