Timer for Pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpking

Oct 20, 2009
SouthEastern MA
Hello. Bought my stove 1 1/2 years ago (Avalon Newport). Burned thru 3 tons last year heating my house primarily on pellets. Which was cool cause Oil was at around $4 a gallon for my area, but sucked in another way in that I had only bought 2 tons of pellets. (that emergency last ton was hard to get)

This year I've already bought 3 tons of Pellets, but I'm looking to reduce my pellet usage.

I think my biggest use of pellets was when I'd set the fire to low to keep the house warm while I and my wife was at work. What I want to do is figure out a way to hookup an external timer to the stove.

There is a thermostat option for my stove:
Thermostat install sheet

But I can't find any timers.

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally, I'd love the stove to turn on at 4pm. (I'm not really concerned if I have to tell the stove to turn on in exactly 8 hours, or if it "knows" it's 4pm)

Mike

I actually in Lowes this afternoon, and was holding a standard T-stat (Thermostat) in my hands today. But since I paid quite a bit for this stove, I didn't feel like cooking the electronics without at least asking around.

So a standard T-Stat would work? Cause that would defiantly make it easy.

mpking said:
Hello. Bought my stove 1 1/2 years ago (Avalon Newport). Burned thru 3 tons last year heating my house primarily on pellets. Which was cool cause Oil was at around $4 a gallon for my area, but sucked in another way in that I had only bought 2 tons of pellets. (that emergency last ton was hard to get)

This year I've already bought 3 tons of Pellets, but I'm looking to reduce my pellet usage.

I think my biggest use of pellets was when I'd set the fire to low to keep the house warm while I and my wife was at work. What I want to do is figure out a way to hookup an external timer to the stove.

There is a thermostat option for my stove:
Thermostat install sheet

But I can't find any timers.

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally, I'd love the stove to turn on at 4pm. (I'm not really concerned if I have to tell the stove to turn on in exactly 8 hours, or if it "knows" it's 4pm)

Mike

Like GVA said, Go with the stat. Or one step more. Go programmable. Set on/off fore week and weekends. Different times and temps for what ever the case. Make sure you get a millivolt model and you will be fine.

jay

Yeah a programable stat should work fine but I'm not sure if you would need a milivolt or 24volt model.
The sheet from travis shows a stat but doesn't say what kind.
Any Travis stove people here? Shane...........

Most of the thermostats are now 'universal' meaning both millivolt and 24 volt will work. I picked up a RiteTemp programmable at HD for $25 on sale. Works great on my Quad Sante Fe, which calls for a 12 volt (???????) thermostat. All it does is close a circuit. It even lets you set the 'swing' and adjust the indicated temperature to equal what is on your furnace thermostat.

Travis Industries stoves (Avalon & Lopi) use a standard millivolt stat. It can be a cheapy Honeywell round job, or a touch screen Lux model like the TX9000ts..they'll all work.

This is the one i use for my stove....works perfectly:

Attachments

• LUX psp511l.gif
    LUX psp511l.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 603
macman said:
Travis Industries stoves (Avalon & Lopi) use a standard millivolt stat. It can be a cheapy Honeywell round job, or a touch screen Lux model like the TX9000ts..they'll all work.

This is the one i use for my stove....works perfectly:

Thanks for confirming that its a millivolt stat. I love my programmable stat and I think we have the same model or close anyway.

Easily set the temps and time to fit my work(week) and Play(weekend) schedule. Price was resonable too! I got mine at HD.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.